How update Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Stephen Van Dellen, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Stephen Van Dellen

Stephen Van Dellen Member

When I first installed Parallels and Windows several years ago, I installed the 32 bit version of Windows 7. My iMac has an Intel Core i5 which is 64 bit so I'd like to upgrade to the 64 bit version of Windows 10. (I don't recall why I installed 32 bit Windows 7. Maybe because I only had 4 GB of memory. I have 8 GB now.) I found KB 122884. It tells you how to upgrade a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows to the same version of Windows 10. Can I just run the "Download Tool Now (64-bit version)?

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi stephen,
    Visit this article
    to find out whether your Windows version is 32-bit or 64-bit, however, if you download Windows upgrade tool for 64 Bit installation, Windows 7 bit wil not accept the installation because it's actual architecture is 32 bit.

3. Stephen Van Dellen

I had found the Microsoft article which is how I know I have the 32 bit version of Windows 7 installed. I don't remember how the original Windows installation worked. I still have the Windows7HomePremium.dmg file from 2012 I purchased and downloaded from Parallels. Does it include both the 32 and 64 bit versions? If so, can I install the 64 bit version using the same product key? If not, can i still download the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and install it using that product key? If so, I could then upgrade that installation to the 64 bit version of Windows 10. Or is there some more direct way to get there?

4. Ram@Parallels

Hi stephen,
    1, Yes, you can install 64 bit Windows with the same activation key, but you must have 64 bit installation dmg/iso.
    2. Yes, you can still download the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and install it using that same product key.
    Note: As you have activated Windows 7 once, Microsoft may or may not allow you to activate the key again, please contact Microsoft to know the licensing policy and approach further.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  5. Stephen Van Dellen

All is well. Maybe. I downloaded the 64 bit Windows 7 ISO image from Microsoft and had Parallels install it in a new VM which it did with no complaints. Microsoft accepted my old key for 32 bit Windows 7. I've been installing apps and learning how to use Windows 10 this afternoon. I'm getting some unexpected freezes and internet disconnects but they are likely operator error. Anyhow, thanks for your help.

6. Ram@Parallels

You are welcome Stephen!
    Please install Parallels Tools to manually to avoid " freezes and internet disconnects " & Please follow the steps suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/112091 to improve Virtual Machine performance on your Mac.