Horizontal (shift-) scrolling doesn't work in Win 10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DMiles, Aug 12, 2015.

1. DMiles

DMiles Member

I've noticed that Shift-scrolling, to scroll horizontally doesn't seem to work in Windows 10. That is a handy feature I used a lot in Windows 7. (I skipped Win 8, so I don't know if it worked there or not.)

Anyone have any luck getting that to work?

2. @DMiles could you please let us know the step-by-step instructions in order to reproduce it on our side?

3. DMiles

DMiles Member

Well, ok, I just went and tested it again, and now it's working. Sigh. There are three things I can think of that might have fixed it:

1) I re-installed Office, replacing the 64-bit version I had with 32-bit. (Stupid, broken SAS 64-bit ODBC driver. grrr.) However, the 64-bit version is what is working fine on Win7. Also, I don't think that the problem was limited to Office, but I'm not certain of that.
    2) Patch Tuesday might have released something that fixed it.
    3) I opened the Mouse control panel, but made no changes. Still, it may have triggered some Windows setting. This is my best guess, because I think I did #1 and #2 and still saw the problem after - I'm not 100% certain of that, though.

Oh well, the bottom line is that I can scroll again, so, all's well that ends well, I guess. :)

4. DMiles

DMiles Member

Well, I installed today's OS X updates, rebooted the VM and the Mac, and now it's now working again. I've no idea why it started working, and no idea why it stopped again. I'll keep looking for what might have fixed it before, and if I find it, I'll post back here.

5. DMiles

DMiles Member

For others who may stumble across this thread... this is also one of the things apparently fixed by Parallels 11. I never got it working again in Parallels 10, so I don't know why it started working or why it stopped again.