Windows 10 upgrade failure with #29105

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ThadH, Aug 10, 2015.

1. ThadH

ThadH Bit poster

I am not able to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 under Parallels 10, build 29105 (Mac Mini 2.6GHz i7, MacOS 10.10.4 with 16GB RAM, 4GB to Parallels). I followed the directions at http://kb.parallels.com/en/122884 as well as attempting from a 64-bit disk image from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO. Each time I get about 12% into "Upgrading Windows" when I get a blue screen with an ASCII frown, followed by a resetting to previous Windows version message, followed by a dialog "We couldn't install Windows 10" (see attached screen shot).

Attached Files:

BarbK and PeterC6 like this.
  2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Thad,
    In order to complete the process please follow the steps below:
    1. Download the .iso image file on the Mac side from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    2. Go to virtual machine configure >> Hardware Tab >> CD/DVD >> Mount the image file by Choosing the image file.
    3. Start the virtual machine >> Open the CD/DVD drive and execute the set-up file.
    Let me know if you have any additional questions.

3. ThadH

ThadH Bit poster

Please re-read my original post. I have already done what you are describing, and with exactly the same failure. (I had read a previous forum post where you recommended this. It didn't work for that user, either.)

PeterC6 likes this.
  4. PeterC6

PeterC6 Bit poster

I am having exactly the same issue as ThadH. Followed the instructions on the parallels post regarding needing to update monitor drivers and downloaded the 64 bit version. Failed partway through the upgrade with the error message as per attached screengrab. Then resets to the prvious version of Windows (7 Home Premium)

Attached Files:

5. ThadH

ThadH Bit poster

Yes, PeterC6, I am also running Windows 7 Home Premium (see attached). That is a viable upgrade route. The old Dell laptop from which cloned this Parallel's VM two years ago upgraded to Windows 10 without a hitch. It began life with Vista, and it has never run faster than now.

Attached Files:

6. PeterC6

PeterC6 Bit poster

So Thad
    Did you manage to eventually get upgraded to Windows 10 and if so how did you manage it as I am still getting the previous error message as per attached.

Attached Files:

7. ThadH

ThadH Bit poster

I have not retired Parallels since my two failures yesterday (the Dell laptop I upgraded last week). I was planning on waiting a few days to see if there were any more updates to Parallels. Until then it seems pointless to reattempt an upgrade.

8. RobertPetry

RobertPetry Bit poster

Add me to the list of users with exactly the same error. I'll follow and try possible solutions.

Thanks.

9. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi All,
    Please follow the steps mentioned below:
    1. Run sfc /scannow on the Windows virtual machine
    2. Run chkdsk
    3. Check whether the Windows is updated.
    Then try to upgrade again and check how it goes.

10. RobertPetry

RobertPetry Bit poster

Hi Dhruba. I ran the two utilities suggested, completed all updates and tried again but got exactly the same result.

I ran all updates and ran the utilities again. Still the exact same error.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  11. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

12. RobertPetry

RobertPetry Bit poster

Unfortunately, that is not the same error. I did try the procedure but it did not work either.

I believe the "Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016" error that you are referencing is different from the 0x80070070 - 0x2000** "
    We couldn't install Windows 10" error we are all experiencing.

13. RobertPetry

RobertPetry Bit poster

I believe this could be an error related to not enough free space. Although the drive is dynamically expandable, it may be that the drive is not expanding. I had 2 GB of actual "reclaimable" space and was getting to 12% before it quit. I cleared room to 9 GB and got a lot further. I am trying to get to 16GB as required for Windows 10.

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi RobertPetry,
    Please follow the steps before upgrading to Windows 10.
    1. Run sfc /scannow on the Windows 7 virtual machine.
    Click on the start button >> try CMD on the search box >> Open Command prompt as an administrator >> Type sfc /scannow >> Hit "Return"
    2. Install all the Windows updates that are available
    3. Now follow the steps suggested at, http://kb.parallels.com/122884 and then try Windows 10 Upgrade.
    Let us know if you have any additional questions.

15. RobertPetry

RobertPetry Bit poster

Seriously PaulChris? I don't think you have read the thread. We have all done that repeatedly and followed the process and this error is the result.

ThadH likes this.
  16. BarbK

BarbK Bit poster

Same problem: Same problem with iMac, Parallels and Windows 10. Windows 10 says not compatible with display and will not load. Parallels have a fix for this problem?

17. RobertPetry

RobertPetry Bit poster

That is a different problem. You should read the link from PaulChris. You must download the installer from Parallels.

We have a different problem with a different error and error code.

18. ThadH

ThadH Bit poster

Okay, I've tried again, and it still failed. This time I first tried some cleanup. 90% of what I want this VM for is the Edge browser, so I cleaned off all the unnecessary files and apps I could--I shutdown the Tomcat service and uninstalled it, uninstalled Eclipse, Java, Git, GitHub, TortoiseSVN, Libre Office, etc. (with the necessary restarts). I opened a console as administrator and ran `sfc /scannow`. It completed without error. I checked Parallels for any updates (none, still 29105), and ran all Windows updates. I completely closed Parallels and restarted it. I downloaded Win10_English_x64.iso to my Mac and mounted it in Parallels. It ran and, eventually, failed, and reset the VM to Windows 7. The only change is that this time I got to 15% complete into "Upgrading Windows" (vs 12%), but as you can see from the attached screenshot, I got exact same "error during MIGRATE_DATA operation" that I got before. Even the same hex pair is the same.

Attached Files:

19. Dato'D

Dato'D Bit poster

After downloading the update tool as instructed by parallel, it just download a file called media creation tools. What to do next ? Please help. All I see in the folder are a bunch of .dll files.

20. RobertPetry

RobertPetry Bit poster

Well, It wasn't the space issue as I had hoped. I turned off drive expansion and freed up over 40 GB of space in the c: drive of the VM.

I don't know what is causing this issue.