Win10 start menu no longer works

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JulsS, Jul 23, 2015.

1. CccA

CccA Junior Member

Since I last posted I have not had a problem again :)
    I would suggest everyone keeps a backup copy of the C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database folder so they can restore it if required, which will also preserve any customisations to the start menu.
    And having an extra admin user always ready for use when required!
    I have done exactly as ScotJ1 has detailed, however I restored the folder on one occasion with windows shut down by mounting pvm file on the mac using ( open with > parallels mounter app ). so I could recover the database folder from a previous snapshot. This helps if windows is locking the files.

From memory!
    1. Shut down windows
    2. Create a new linked clone from a working snapshot
    3. Open this new pvm with parallels mounter and copy the user data folder to another safe place.
    4. Open normal windows 10 pvm with parallels mounter and replace retrieved database folder.
    5. Un-mount the as you wound and other disc.
    6. Start repaired windows 10
    7. Delete linked clone.

ArunR1 and RobertB6 like this.
  2. RobertB6

RobertB6 Bit poster

I've been using my Windows 10 VM for hours now and the Start Menu stopped working again. Is there a more permanent fix?

3. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

I'm having this issue as well and it is making Parallels unusable. As soon as I logon the start menu does not work and also some of the icons in the task bar disappear. Also, Explorer seems to crash and restart ...

Any update Parallels on when we are going to get a fix for this issue..

4. ChrisM4

ChrisM4 Bit poster

I am having the same issue with the public version of W10. It has happened to me about 5 times now. I really believe this is a Parallels issue. All I can find on the internet is talk about this issue in a beta build...

5. BryanR1

BryanR1 Bit poster

I have had this happen to me twice, I also think it is Parallels. This is in the latest build with all updates.

6. CccA

CccA Junior Member

Just had my OS X fully crash again! 6 times in 7 months. Thats more times than previous versions of windows have crashed on me in 7 years!
    When re-starting WIN 10 after it just having had 'the plug pulled', my start menu was zapped again after a several weeks of working including having made customizations to it. But I used my procedure above to fix it quickly.
    Note: I'm still running with disabled "enable nested virtualization" (Configure.. > Hardware > CPU & Memory ) as was required in the preview builds to stop constant explorer crashes. I have no idea if this is still required.

7. BryanR1

BryanR1 Bit poster

@CccA that is what happened this morning. Had just hooked up to an external monitor when the computer seized for a few seconds then did a hard restart. When it came back up my start menu and modern apps were borked.

8. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

So is this issue resolved in Parallels 11 ? As it is a major showstopper for me..

Also, while we are at it :) has the issue with Xbox One Controllers not working and also Boot Camp not being visible when you add a new virtual machine been resolved in Parallels 11 ?

9. IsraelH

IsraelH Bit poster

Thanks scottJ1 it took care of some of the problems.

10. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

Any update on this issue ? I've even bought Parallels 11 and it is still happening. My start menu stops working and also a number of my icons in the taskbar disappear.

11. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Dear Parallels Users,
    Our Engineering Team is looking into it. Please stay tuned for the updates with KB123375.

ChristopherH3 likes this.
  12. oztrev

oztrev Member

Also happens under Parallels 11 and latest Windows 10 release with all updates. Restored system from a snapshot. Now making snapshots often :)

JulsS likes this.
  13. BryanR1

BryanR1 Bit poster

This happened to me again....this is on a machine I use for work.....I am very unhappy

14. BryanR1

BryanR1 Bit poster

They posted a work around not a fix in that KB article. There has got to be a better solution for this. Happened again today to me.

15. JulsS

JulsS Member

11.0.1 was released yesterday. Hopefully it contains a fix for this problem.

16. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, Kindly refer to this article to fix Windows 10 Start Menu doesn't work in Parallels virtual machine

17. JulsS

JulsS Member

Paul, that is a workaround to fix the problem after it happens.

BryanR1 likes this.
  18. RogerF1

RogerF1 Bit poster

I swear this is absolutely a ridiculous workaround. Please fix the root problem.

19. TomFra

TomFra Bit poster

@PaulChris@Parallels I agree with JulsS. Good that we have a sollution to fix it, but it should not happen. I already had this issue 3 times, i'm getting frustrated about it.. Any progress in finding the root cause?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  20. Guys, if the issue reoccurs after the workaround, please generate the problem report using this KB, and reply us back with report number. after that we will be able to continue investigation.