Update to 10.2.2 build 29105 kills Windows XP - Unable to install Tools

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Michael Tuckman, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Michael Tuckman

Michael Tuckman Bit poster

I mistakenly allowed Parallels to update to 29105 - When it went to update the Parallels Tools, it fails every time. The last time it said something about the driver for the hard drive is not certified for Windows, rolls back the Tools, and reboots. Tried about 10 times to do it.

I then wanted to downgrade to 29006, but can't find an official version of 29006. I did find one online but it appears to be a demo version or something. When I used it, while I was able to get Tools installed, Copy and Paste doesn't work. It either does NOTHING at all, including just copying and pasting from within Windows, or gives me an error that the clipboard can't be cleared.

When I reboot I get an error that CPInterceptor needs to be cancelled - so that appears to be locking up?

Is there an official link for the 29006 version and is there a fix for this.

And YES - I did follow every KB article I can find, did a clean uninstall of Tools, Uninstalled and Reinstalled Parallels on the Mac, etc.

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

3. YachenL

YachenL Bit poster

Same problem.
    Driver installation failed on prl_fs. And all other drivers has been rolled back so I can not use my XP at all.

4. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Michael,
    Please submit a Problem Report ID http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the ID number here, so that we can assist you better.

5. AndrewH3

AndrewH3 Junior Member

So....are we to take from this that Desktop 10.2.2 is incompatible with XP?

6. marat_t

marat_t Pro

all looks to be WinXP internal issues that are preventing drivers from installing. upgrade didn't break anything but existing problems manifested themselves. please collect report so we could take a look at the logs and try to help =)

7. AndrewH3

AndrewH3 Junior Member

From what I am reading here and on other forums, it seems that installation of 10.2.2 results in problems with XP that did not manifest with previous versions/updates. That is, 10.2.2 collides with things in XP that the previous versions of Desktop had no problem with. If XP works fine under 10.2.1 it seems disingenuous to say that when it does not work with 10.2.2 that the problem is with the XP. The continuing issues with 10.2.2 in the forums (destroyed VMs, nonfunctionalities, in one case having to entirely re-install Windows) suggests that 10.2.2 is problematic. Speaking for myself, I will hold off upgrading until I am convinced that 10.2.2 will work with XP (and is compatible with Firefox and other standard programs).

8. marat_t

marat_t Pro

I am working in Support and there are no issues with WinXP and latest PDfM update or they are easy to fix and never get to 2nd tier. Please note that there were issues with Win10 tech preview. but that was because of buggy Win10 build.

9. AndrewH3

AndrewH3 Junior Member

OK Thanks Marat - that is helpful - I got scared seeing all the problems with Win10 - manually installing Parallels Tools, if needed, is no big deal...