Windows 10 Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RobertS8, Jul 30, 2015.

1. RobertS8

RobertS8 Bit poster

Well after upgrading my retina iMacs bootcamp to windows 10, Parallels doesn't see the bootcamp partition, i also have fusion and Guess what that just worked.
    Whats the ETA for a working supported windows 10 parallels, I'm taking that you guys don't actually play with Pre release before launch. Very poor.

Anybody managed to get Parallels to read from the Win10 bootcamp partition, or is there some long unauthodox way to do it.

Moan over

2. shansheng

shansheng Bit poster

@Maria@Parallels
    can boot into Boot Camp natively if i Replace "Windows/inf/volume.inf"

3. imacken

imacken Hunter

Yes, you can! I've done this 'trick' a few times now.

shansheng likes this.
  4. DavidH6

DavidH6 Bit poster

I tried that solution, but without success.

1. created volume.inf.bak
    2. Booted to OSX, using tuxera for NTFS, replaced the original volume.inf with the copy.
    - new file is 106 bytes, old file is "2k"
    3. Attempted to add Bootcamp VM. No option avail in Parallels Version 10.2.2 (29105)
    4. Restarted OSX. Still no option.

Ideas?

5. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

What version of Windows are you upgrading from? When I had updated fro win7 to Win8,
    I had to use Disk Utility in the Mac to repair the drive (not any of the volumes) because
    Win8 made some change to the boot map or some sort thing. So, if you are upgrading
    from Win7 to Win10, perhaps something similar is going on.

6. DavidH6

DavidH6 Bit poster

I did upgrade from Win7. I attempted the dix repair, and while it did find and fix a number of issues - still no luck with Parallels.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll wait for the next version of PD.

7. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi David,
    Thank you for reporting this issue, Our developers are already aware of this issue and they are working on this. Please subscribe to our newsletters for the update. Refer, http://kb.parallels.com/117011

8. DavidH6

DavidH6 Bit poster

I just upgraded to Parallels Desktop 11. The bootcamp Win 10 partition still doesn't show up as a
    new virtual machine option. I'm going to go ahead and tear down / rebuild the bootcamp Win 10 this evening.

Will keep everyone posted with results.

9. DavidH6

DavidH6 Bit poster

No dice.

For the people who got this to work, did you do an in place update to Win10 or a clean install (partition rebuild) ?
    Also, did you setup the parallels VM before or after the upgrade to Win10 if it was an upgrade?

I was able, on a different Macbook with an existing Win8->8.1->10 bootcamp based VM to have it recognized by Parallels.

10. iciconnect

iciconnect Member

This information has been archived and no longer available. Help??

11. iciconnect

iciconnect Member

I had Windows 10 working fine in both BootCamp and in Parallel I using the partition. It wasn't until I updated to a SSD is when Parallels failed.

12. Hi, and do you have any error message during working with Windows Vm in Parallels Desktop?