Windows 10 Installation Error

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TrippM, Aug 11, 2015.

1. TrippM

TrippM Bit poster

I followed the instructions for installing Windows 10 from Windows 7. I increased from 2GB to 3GB to be above the 2GB minimum. Everything was going smoothly. I did have to attach an external drive so it had somewhere to put the .tmp file created to allow restore. And I chose to bring across everything. It began copying files, and then it failed, returned me to Windows 7 and said it could not install Win 10, Error 0x80070070, "...failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation." Any thoughts?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi TrippM,
    Please follow the steps before upgrading to Windows 10.
    1. Run sfc /scannow on the Windows 7 virtual machine.
    Click on the start button >> try CMD on the search box >> Open Command prompt as an administrator >> Type sfc /scannow >> Hit "Return"
    2. Install all the Windows updates that are available
    3. Now follow the steps suggested at, http://kb.parallels.com/122884 and then try Windows 10 Upgrade.
    Let us know if you have any additional questions.

3. TrippM

TrippM Bit poster

Thanks. That worked.

4. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi TrippM,
    Glad that your issue is resolved! Feel free to reach us anytime, we're here to help you.

5. iBighouse

iBighouse Bit poster

I have tried all the steps as well and still cannot get Windows 10 to install. I did get the white ring/turning blue to run up to about 75% once, but since then I'm only get the wheel up to 1% and my iMac locks up entirely. I've got 2 CPU's dedicated to my VM and 16G of RAM. My HD has about 68GB of free space on it- should be enough, right? Also, when I ran the steps above sfc /scannow I received a message that corrupted files were found some files were not able to be fixed, and something about a CBS log file...

I really would like to get Windows 10 up and running. I've tried installing it at least ten times now. Fortunately it's kind enough to restore my Windows 8.1 installation each time.

At any rate, I keep getting this error message after I reboot:
    0xC1900101-0X2000C
    The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.