backing up Parallels with Time Machine

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Omar_Alnajjar, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Omar_Alnajjar

Omar_Alnajjar Bit poster

I'm gonna change my MacBook Pro's HHD and I will have to back up all my stuff in a Time Machine then I will restore them to the new HHD. My question is, is Parallels Desktop 10 and the virtual machine gonna back up normally in the Time Machine with all my documents and applications? and do I have to delete Parallels 10 from my MacBook Pro before changing the HHD?

thanks

2. Omar_Alnajjar

Omar_Alnajjar Bit poster

3. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hi Omat_Alnajjar,
    Time Machine will back up your entire Windows Virtual Machine. Your Windows.pvm file will be backed up on the Time Machine which has all your Windows files.
    Deleting/uninstalling Parallels Desktop 10 application will not remove your Windows Virtual Machine or it will not be affected.
    In order to take the back up of your Windows using time Machine. The "Do not back up Virtual Machine" option should be unchecked.
    For more information about backing up your Virtual Machine using Time Machine, please refer this article: http://kb.parallels.com/8827
    After the Time Machine back up, In order to restore your Virtual Machine from Time Machine backup, you need to check the location of PVM file.
    Usually it will be in /User/Documents/Parallels or /Users/Shared/Parallels/
    Please let us know if you have any questions.

4. abrasha

abrasha Member

This does not work! I have tried this dozens of times. Enabling SmartGuard and unchecking "Do not back up virtual machine" is useless, because as soon as I close the configuration panel and reopen it, the option is checked again. It has been this way for years! Very annoying, because I cannot backup the virtual machine ever. The only thing I can do is make a clone every time. Why don't they finally fix this bug?

5. Hi, @abrasha, please let us know which version of Parallels Desktop are you using?

6. abrasha

abrasha Member

Version 10.2.0 (28956)

7. Could you please upgrade the Parallels Desktop to the latest build: 10.2.2 and check the issue.