Restore Copy of Windows on external drive back to physical PC

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by abrasha, Aug 15, 2015.

1. abrasha

abrasha Member

I made some changes to my Windows installation that I do not like. Before I made the changes I made a clone on an external drive called Copy of Windows.

I now want to migrate that copy back to my physical PC, and can't figure out how to do that without having Parallels Desktop calling it Copy of .....

Previously when I opened PD, I was presented with the option to start just Windows, not Copy of Windows.

How do I execute a proper restore?

I have now spend about an hour and a half online and on this forum trying to find an answer. I can't find an answer to this question anywhere.

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Abrasha,
    We understand that you are trying to transfer an existing virtual machine to a different Mac. Since you have already copied the file in an external hard drive, in order to resolve to the Mac, copy the file to the Mac. Start Parallels Desktop >> Click on File >> New >> Add an existing virtual machine.

3. abrasha

abrasha Member

On the external drive the file is called "Copy of Windows XP". The file on my computer is called "Windows XP"
    I assume that when I follow your instruction the file in Documents > Parallels will then be named "Copy of Windows XP " I want it to be called "Windows XP" as it is now on my computer.
    Should I delete the file Windows XP.pvm first and then do as you suggest? Can I then just change the name after the migration from "Copy of Windows XP" to "Windows XP"?

4. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Abrasha,
    Yes, after the migration of your copy of Windows XP.pvm Please double click on that pvm file and check if it operates well. If the migration was successful and your Windows XP boots up, then you can delete the Windows XP.pvm from Documents and rename the 'copy Windows XP.pvm' to the original name.