Is Parallels 3 + Bootcamped Vista really safe?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by flipdoubt, Jul 27, 2007.

1. flipdoubt

flipdoubt Member

I'm a long time Windows developer who has enjoyed running Parallels 3 + Bootcamped Vista. Recently, however, someone closed the lid on my MBP while running Vista in Parallels. Vista ended up hibernating. When I next rebooted into Bootcamp, Windows complained HAL.DLL was corrupted or missing and refused to load the OS. I could still boot via Parallels but not via Bootcamp. After two weeks of trying Windows repairs, Windows upgrades, replacing the DLL, I gave up and re-installed my Bootcamp partition.

Now that Bootcamp has been configured and most of my apps installed, I am tempted to run Parallels again but I feel like I am also tempting fate. Is it really safe to run a VM of a Bootcamped Vista? What if there is another unexpected shutdown due to hardware failure (such as no power), software failure (I'm a Windows developer, so I've been known to tinker where I shouldn't), or user error (such as shutting the lid when I am in a hurry)? I just don't know if it is worth the risk to use this otherwise great product when a dirty Windows shutdown ruins the whole deal. Isn't Windows instability part of why we're running OS X in the first place? Bootcamp itself is still a beta, so I just don't know whether Parallels should really claim to support it when Apple doesn't ...

On the more practical side, are there any recommended Windows Power Settings so that closing the lid does not ruin everything?

2. flipdoubt

flipdoubt Member

bumped: Any thoughts?

3. flipdoubt

flipdoubt Member

No love for this question?

4. mark-nc

mark-nc Bit poster

Can someone from Parallels PLEASE respond to this issue. I have the same problem and I find it unbelievably frustrating that someone hasn't posted a solution for this that does NOT require reinstalling Vista from scratch! I've got to tell you I am very pissed off right now and I highly recommend people stay away from using Parallels and Bootcamp until there is a reasonable solution for this.

5. ifenn

ifenn Bit poster

I have had this issue too. I ended up having to kill the partition and re-install windows and everything else too. I am not happy!

6. DrivinWest

DrivinWest Bit poster

If I understand it correctly, the 1st build or two of Parallels 3 hacked some Vista dll files to make certain things work. I don't believe that is still the case. I just did a fresh Vista Boot Camp install followed by a fresh Parallels 3 (4560) install and everything works. When I boot natively or virtually I'm not confronted with the "Found new hardware" wizard as I used to be.

7. flipdoubt

flipdoubt Member

Can anyone from Parallels confirm this?

8. Steeeve

Steeeve Junior Member

Why don't you install Vista on a Parallels virtual machine first, and make a backup of that virtual machine to an external hard drive. Next step, install Vista via boot camp! Then you can phone up Microsoft and have them activate it, provided you're running Ultimate or Business. You should have a virtual machine that is separate from the boot camp installation in order to avoid the activation issues every time you run the virtual machine. If you don't like having a virtual machine taking up drive space that is already taken up by a boot camp installation, you should run your virtual machine off of an external hard drive. I hope I helped.

9. flipdoubt

flipdoubt Member

I have a backup, but that does not really address the safety issue. I would not use commercial airlines if I had to resort to using a parachute whenever I encountered some turbulence.

10. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

sorry I opted out from Bootcamp because it was a perpetual beta and Vista can wait a year, or until I get a new machine

If I really wanted Vista I would get it on a VAIO® TZ notebook -- my last Sony Vaio is 6 years old and except for the screen still going strong - with an external monitor

Hugh W

11. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

12. flipdoubt

flipdoubt Member

Sorry guys, but I'm talking about losing critical system files as a result of a dirty shutdown. I'm not talking about viruses, spy ware, or activation. See the first post on this thread.

13. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

one care repairs registery errors

10 this week on my VM

once 500 + the first time on a friends laptop

it is an official MS product and a freebie

if it had happened to me using parallels alone
    without boot camp
    I have the clone I made on saturday on a firwire external HD to fall back on

of course I would make a new clone of the clone before doing anything
    with my data always in shared folders on the mac side
    (like the clones) I am fairly safe until the La Cie disk dies

I messed up a beta update in Sept 2006 and had to do a clean reinstall from the OEM WinXP sp2 home dvd I used and got the MS hotline to give me a new key for WInXP on the same hardware

hence my preoccupation with systematic cloning my VM each week (after the usual updates)

Hugh W