Windows 10 Bootcamp VM can't validate!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by imacken, Jul 29, 2015.

1. MarqueIV

MarqueIV Junior Member

Plus, have you even tried my proposed, possible solution? Maybe that's all you need to do. Back up Windows 10 on whichever side it's activated, wipe the partition, reinstall Windows 7/8x, reboot into the other side (if Win10 was activated natively, boot to the VM. If Win10 was activated in the VM, boot natively), activate Windows 7/8x, perform all updates, then run the Windows 10 upgrade. If that works, restore your backed up Win10 install. Try it. It may work and get around this issue. It is a *REAL* pain in the keester, but if it works, it only has to be done once. If it doesn't, that's just more proof that Microsoft really screwed this up bad here.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. MarqueIV

MarqueIV Junior Member

Just following up on this. Are you saying that both your natively-started Boot Camp partition and the VM which is based on that same partition are both now showing as activated? Have you had any issues since or has it been all-good since?

If so, this would be *great* news because according to Microsoft's own documentation, the activations are actually hardware-based (the Win10 key is just used in place of a pre-activated Win7/8x install to allow the hardware activation to continue) and the hardware differs between the VM and the natively-booted install.

If they have fixed/addressed that, then Parallels, VMware, VirtualBox and everyone else will automatically start working as expected and today will be a good day.

3. ChrisM3

ChrisM3 Junior Member

Dear MarkA5. The moderation delay may be why it seems you posted without reading my last post. There I point out the 'Compatible with Windows 10' badge on that bootcamp page.

In your workaround, are you guessing that installing Windows 10 over an activated Windows 7 separately on both BC and VM would create 2 different combinations of CPU linked Windows 10 activated installs? If so then would it not work just as well to install Windows 7 as a new VM without removing the BC? That could be worth a try, but I'd read on another forum that upgrading to Windows 10 and not rolling back (which you can only do in the first 30 days) will invalidate the original Windows 7 key.

4. ScottB1

ScottB1 Bit poster

I originally upgraded my Bootcamp partition from Windows 7 Pro (x64) to Windows 10 (x64). It activated normally after the upgrade. I figured this would register my Bootcamp hardware with the activation server.

When I booted into the Parallels 10 VM, Windows reported that my key was "blocked" and would not activate.

I reinstalled Windows 7 on Bootcamp from scratch and configured my virtual machine. I then upgraded my virtual machine and it activated normally. I figured this would register my Virtual Machine hardware with the activation server.

However, when I booted back into Bootcamp, it would not activate and reported that the key was "blocked."

Are the folks reporting successful concurrent activation running retail or upgrade versions of Windows 10? I'm happy to pay for the upgrade, but I don't want to be the guinea pig. I've lost too much time already uninstalling and reinstalling the bootcamp partition.

ChrisM3 likes this.
  5. ByronC

ByronC Bit poster

I got the same validation error. I had upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on a Bootcamp partition. When it did not work, I tried to uninstall Parallels Tools. That uninstallation failed. I could not restart Windows 10 in Bootcamp. I then tried to roll back Windows 10 to Windows 8.1. Basic programs like internet Explorer and Chrome would not launch anymore in Windows 8.1. I had to reinstall Windows 8.1, upgrade to Windows 10 a second time. This involved removing the Bootcamp partition and then recreating the partition. This same sequence occurred on 2 MacBook Pros with retina display, each running valid and separate Windows 8.1 Pro licenses. Before I reinstalled Bootcamp again, I tried to install Windows 10 as a virtual machine. Text and icons were too small to read even after trying to maximize these in the control panel. The performance of Windows in Bootcamp is quite good. I do not know why the attempt at running Bootcamp in Parallels corrupted the Windows operating system. I am afraid to try this again until there is a major update to Parallels.

6. MarqueIV

MarqueIV Junior Member

I thought about that, but I'm also concerned that it would write something to the drive/EFI side of things which wouldn't be in the new, pure, file-based VM with Win7. Plus, being a file-based VM, it's hardware would look different there too.

Still, it looks like ScottB1 already tried what I was suggesting and that didn't work either, so MS is tying it not just to the hardware, but to something on the actual install. When you do a boot camp native upgrade to 10, then go back and do a boot camp VM upgrade to 10, the latter trashes something on the disk of the former (you did just wipe the drive after all!) and it didn't work.

Back to square one.

Still waiting to hear what imacken did as is evident by his comment above...

Just like ScottB1 asked, I too am wondering if it was an upgrade or a Retail Win10 license.

BTW, I (*FINALLY* figured it out and) changed my user name in case you were wondering.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  7. MarqueIV

MarqueIV Junior Member

Sh#t sh#t sh#t! I had a working, activated Boot Camp partition, but when I created a VM based on it, it of course said it wasn't activated. Parallels then went in and installed its drivers and such, but now when I went back to booting natively, the formerly-activated Boot Camp partition is *also* saying it's not activated! Parallels killed the activation of the working boot camp partition!

Like i said, sh#t!! No idea how to reactivate it even natively as now both the VM and native-booting show the generic, blocked key.

Sh#t!! I *REALLY* do not want to have to go back and reinstall *again* for the 437th time. MAN this is getting frustrating!!!

8. ByronC

ByronC Bit poster

I cannot provide a screen shot. I had a remote session with Parallels technical support. The technical support representative saw the screen that required a new Microsoft key without any phone number or link to resolve the issue. He said there was no support yet for Parallels to run Windows 10 off of a Bootcamp installation. We tried making a Bootcamp based virtual machine on two Macs at the same time with the same error. Once the Parallels Boot Camp Virtual Machines failed, Windows was no longer bootable from the Windows Partition. I did not have a good Winclone backup, so I had to do a clean reinstall to create new Bootcamp partitions. Parallels KB articles were written before the July 29 release of Windows 10 and may only apply to Windows 10 Preview. I would strongly suggest creating a good backup using either Winclone or another program that will backup Bootcamp, before attempting to make a Bootcamp Virtual Machine with Windows 10. Paragon and Acronis also make products that will backup Bootcamp.

9. ChrisM3

ChrisM3 Junior Member

If that's true then Parallels have falsely advertised their product, as per the link we shared above pointing to a page that says Parallels has support for Bootcamp that is compatible with Windows 10.

10. WimH

WimH Bit poster

To be expected, a new release op Parallels. Asking us to shell out $49 for an upgrade, while this issue still isn't resolved in v10.

I don't think I will be upgrading until someone confirmed this problem is resolved. And yes, the whole Bootcamp/VM thing is sold again as a feature. How about giving us some confirmation this is resolved?

11. ErwanR

ErwanR Bit poster

Just tried this morning with Parallels 11 and my Windows 10 under bootcamp, and my Windows activation is now screwed up under native boot.
    Surprisingly, the activation is still working fine under Parallels...
    Now, I'm starting to get fed up with virtualizers : previously, Parallels 10 wasn't working under BootCamp as it was not supporting the 4kb sectors SSDs (neither was VMWare Fusion, BTW), and now that !
    How can people from Parallels 11 claim they support both Windows 10 and Bootcamp ?!

12. ErwanR

ErwanR Bit poster

Error Code : 0xC004F200 (Not Genuine)

13. ErwanR

ErwanR Bit poster

How to revert this back ?
    I bought my Windows License, it was valid when I booted on my BootCamp partition, and it no longer is since I installed Parallels 11...

14. WimH

WimH Bit poster

I am on Parallels 11 now (Trial) and my Windows is still validated on my Bootcamp installation, but when running it as a VM, it's still not validated.

Is Parallels going to support this or should there be an enormous warning on the homepage telling you that the activation can actually become invalid.

15. ChrisM3

ChrisM3 Junior Member

Confirmed this issue not fixed in version 11

16. RobertD4

RobertD4 Bit poster

So as we stand, Parallels 11 can't validate the same copy of Windows 10 on the same computer as you have a validated Bootcamp Partition on??

Anyone from Parallels care comment? I'm on a free trial at this point. Clearly I won't be upgrading unless you guys tell me how I can validate my Windows 10 VM.

17. ByronC

ByronC Bit poster

I was able to validate two Mac Book Pro Boot Camp installations. The first one activated after some attempts. The other one activated the morning after it installed.Parallels helped me install Boot Camp on the first Mac. The second Mac used Parallels 11 trial

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  18. imacken

imacken Hunter

OK, sorry guys, I have not had any notifications of there being any replies on this thread, so that is why I haven't responded.
    Here is the situation with me to clarify what people are asking:
    1) I did a 'free' Windows 10 update on my Windows 7 Home Premium Bootcamp install which validated OK
    2) I created a VM on PD10 which did not validate and this has been discussed in this thread a lot.
    3) Eventually (as MS said would happen) my W10 VM validated after about 5 days, I think
    4) I then had a validated and working Bootcamp and PD10 VM of Windows 10
    5) yesterday, I upgraded to PD11, and both the VM and the BC installs are working well and validated.
    I hope that clears up the few questions I have been asked!

19. RobertD4

RobertD4 Bit poster

Right now I'm getting the following error,

Error code: 0xC004C003
    The activation server determined that the specified product key has been blocked.

That's on a new VM, not one linked to my currently activated Bootcamp Partition. Not sure if that makes a difference.

20. ByronC

ByronC Bit poster

I used Parallels 11 to make a BootCamp based virtual machine. Initially, both booting up from the Windows partition and from Parallels showed no activation. When I got up the next morning I was able to validate both the native install and the Virtual Machine. I also created a desktop virtual machine from another Windows license. The icons and text look better on the Bootcamp virtual machine. On the other hand, I may just stick with the desktop virtual machine since backup and restore for Bootcamp is so difficult.