Networking not working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by eddiek11, Jul 19, 2007.

1. eddiek11

eddiek11 Bit poster

I just upgraded to 4560 and the shared networking is not working. I've tried restarting a couple of times without any help. Internet is working fine on the Mac side. The previous version of Parallels was connecting just fine yesterday. Any thoughts?

2. GeertK

GeertK Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem. XP has generated an auto-IP address, so I guess the guest is not able to get to the DHCP server somehow. Any help greatly appreciated!

3. Apple-Z

Apple-Z Junior Member

Same problem here. The VM will not even start after upgrading to 4560 :( When I hit the start button I get the following message:

"Parallels Desktop is unable to attach to the network adapter unknown. If this is the first time you see this message, please reboot your computer and start your virtual machine again. Otherwise please check your virtual machine's configuration and select another network adapter, or you will not be able to work with network connections inside your virtual machine."

I've rebooted my Mac to no avail.

The current (default) network configuration is: Network Adapter 1; Shared networking

I'm running XP on a 3 GHz Mac Pro with 2 GB RAM and OS X 10.4.10.

Anyone managed to resolve this glitch ?

4. zakimi

zakimi Bit poster

I got the same problem too. The network icon on the bottom-right shows that i got a 1Gbps of 'connection' although the real connectivity is unavailable.

Can't the tech support take action on this matter?

5. phaiT

phaiT Bit poster

Exact same problem, cannot connect to internet through Parallels.

Tech support please help.

6. techguyx

techguyx Bit poster

We are having the identical issue occur with parallels on two Macbook Pros at our office. It is completely shutting down our efficiency for these users and effectively rendering them helpless - this issue needs some sort of acknowledgment / solution!

Shared Networking, selecting "Default Adapter", selecting "Airport", none of it works!

For what it's worth, Parallels seems to work just fine at the home network for these users. The only noticable difference between that network and this one is that our network here uses WPA2 Personal Encryption, DHCP (the home network uses static addressing, which was entered through Alternate Configuration), and then a different IP range.

Tech Support, help, please!

7. davidahn

davidahn Bit poster

Ditto

I have this problem as well since today. It's been working fine until now. A reboot has helped nothing, and in the network adapter settings, it's set to Realtek 8029(AS), not "unknown."

One workaround that worked for me is to switch to "Bridged Ethernet." This must be less than ideal, or Parallels wouldn't recommend Shared.

Please, Parallels tech support!

David

8. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

Please reinstall Parallels Tools, shut down Windows properly, restart the
    Mac. After that please do the following:
    1. Go to System Preferences-Sharing-Internet and turn off Apple Internet
    sharing;
    2. Please set Parallels Network Adapter to Shared networking;
    3. In Windows please open Network Connections, right-click LAN icon,
    find Local Area Connection properties, select Internet Protocol TCP/IP
    properties, open General Tab and select Obtain IP and DNS server
    addresses automatically checkboxes,

Best regards,
    John

9. Solfridj@msn.com

Solfridj@msn.com Bit poster

This didn`t work for me.. Shared Networking is shaded grey

My sharing Networking is shaded grey and my Parallels NAT is red. Does this meen that I have to reinstall the software and Windows? I have just installed it, so hope that I doesn`t need to do this again.. Why is the Parallels NAT red? Have I done something "wrong" when installing Parallels?

Solfrid (norway)

10. johnv

Good day!

Please try this solution:

1. Restart the MAC.
    2. Go to the "Apple Menu->System Preferences->Network"
    3. If "Parallels NAT" has a red color, please uninstall Parallels software with the uninstaller application which is available in the package with software, reboot and install it again.
    4. If "Parallels NAT" has a green light, a message saying that the new adapters are available appears. Click "Configure". Message will disappear.
    5. Click "Apply Now".
    6. Check if the shared networking is not grayed out anymore.

Best regards,
    John

11. Solfridj@msn.com

Hi:)

Thank you soo much for the quick reply:)

It is just one thing, will I loose Windows then or do I need to uninstall this and then reinstall after I have reinstalles Parallels?

Best regards
    Solfrid from Norway

12. johnv

Hello, Solfrid!

Your Windows VM will not be removed if You uninstall Parallels. Nevertheless You can make a backup copy of the VM,

Best regards,
    John

13. Solfridj@msn.com

Thank u thank u thank u:):):)

Everything is now fine with the Shared Netwoking app!

It`s great that there is help for us not so exp ones. So ones again, Thank u so much:)

14. zimm17

zimm17 Bit poster

Wow, this forum ROCKS!!!! I had the same problem today and the shared networking fixed it! Yes, back on the internet to update my windows stuff.

15. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<