Upgrading to Parallels 11 from 10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Darren_Coleman, Aug 19, 2015.

1. AnthonyC2

AnthonyC2 Junior Member

Also, according to your answer, whoever upgrade the parallels desktop before 29 July is a fool. Only stupid customer should do it, right? Should wait until the next version launched!

2. BrianT2

BrianT2 Bit poster

I've been running win 10 in parallels 10 for a while now without issue

Specimen likes this.
  3. Jose M

Jose M Bit poster

I have a different problem that all of the post. I Dowloaded the upgrade version of parallels 11 I tried to installed and obviously tells me to shut of the virtual machine and desktop. My problems is that the programs is off. I go to system preference forced quit and it is not running. What can I do to make it work

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Open the Virtual Machine in P10 and Shut it down, not Suspend or Pause, but shut it down from the Windows Start menu.
    If for some reason you are still receiving this message, reboot and try to upgrade again.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I didn't call anyone stupid, I've been using PDM for about 7 years now, I know Parallels release cycle and support policies, and I'm sharing my advice.

And frankly, the only way Parallels would change these sales policies would be for people to not buy PDM in the timeframe between the end of the first quarter of the year up until the release of a new version, that decline in sales would make them change their minds.
    And in fact they already did, with the subscription service, in the future that will probably be the only way to get Parallels, and it makes a lot of sense for customers, you will be able to buy a 1 or 2 year subscriptions which will entitle you from the moment you activate it and for the exact length of that duration to always have the latest version of Parallels, in such case it doesn't matter anymore when you buy it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  6. J.R1

J.R1 Bit poster

Version 11 also has issues with Windows 10 upgrade - Display Adapter (WDDM) error.

7. AnthonyC2

AnthonyC2 Junior Member

I tried to download window 10 but Microsoft does not allow me to download and say the parallels display adaptor does not support window 10

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

http://kb.parallels.com/en/123053

9. AlexW1

AlexW1 Bit poster

Hi Maria, regarding the student use. I see the price to upgrade from 10 to 11 for regular users ($49) is cheaper than the price for students to purchase a fresh copy ($54). Do you know if there's an upgrade price for students?
    Thanks,
    Alex

10. WilliamC3

WilliamC3 Bit poster

This is the picture in my email... can you please explain me and everyone else wondering WHERE is the mentioned date?

Attached Files:

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Hmmm, I haven't seen that email personally, but that email seems to imply you already have an active subscription.

As an experienced user but not someone who works for Parallels, let me explain my understanding of the problem.

There are two different situations here, one is the Tech Guarantee, which gives you a free license of P11 if you purchased P10 after July 29. The second situation is the subscription service which is new.

The email you showed, to the best of my knowledge should only be received by who has a valid subscription, I wonder if there has been some sort of mix up when sending out these emails, do you have an active subscription of Parallels Access?

12. WilliamC3

WilliamC3 Bit poster

Yes actually i have 2 valid keys (cause of my 2 machines)... now what? i have to pay for this upgrade?? i did this upgrade because it was supposedly FREE... i don't want to pay for it... i could have stayed with the 10.x version for now!

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You can downgrade to P10, your VMs will work. First uninstall Parallels Tools via Add/Remove Programs in Windows, shut down Windows, uninstall P11, install P10, start VM, install Parallels Tools.

WilliamC3 likes this.
  14. ghtop

ghtop Member

The contrast between the
    This still doesn't make clear the critical difference: when a subscription expires the installation will be disabled. All it says is: "A subscription needs to be updated at the end of the subscription period", not what will happen if it isn't. This seems calculated to cause customer confusion IMHO.

It seems particularly underhand when the prices for upgrade to standard and Pro are currently the same, creating the impression of equivalence. I can imagine that many who opt for the tempting Pro upgrade now won't realise the implications until this time next year when the next ransom will be due.

15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Your interpretation seems a bit twisted, but that's my opinion.

You are aware that the Pro edition has features the standard doesn't have? it's not just about how the licensing works?

16. WilliamC3

WilliamC3 Bit poster

This email is in my case misleading people to start the download, install it and then get stuck with a TRIAL that you have no choice on buying or like SPECIMEN say to downgrade back to the version 10. Its false advertising!

17. ghtop

ghtop Member

Yes, I'm very aware that the Pro now has many features that used to be in the standard version, but are now only available if you agree to rent the Pro version in perpetuity. Plenty of other threads about this here.

18. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

*sigh*
    Could you please point me which of these features of the Pro Edition that where also present in P10?
    - Complimentary Parallels Access subscription for the same duration as the PD subscription
    - Microsoft Visual Studio Plug-in
    - Support for popular development, design, and test tools including Docker, Jenkins, and Chef
    - Advanced networking tools (complex networks, simulation of network problems)
    - Support for Business Cloud Services (OneDrive for Business, etc)
    - Maximum of 64GB vRAM / 16 vCPUs per VM
    - Permanent (for the full time of the subscription) Premium 24/7 phone and email support

Both the Pro Edition and the Business Edition are targeted at Professional developers and network administrators, these features are of little value to the average consumer.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  19. ghtop

ghtop Member

Well, 10 supported 64GB/16CPU for a start. Removal of the Vagrant provider has just made existing Docker, Jenkins & Chef use more difficult. I guess the "advanced networking tools", but what are they? Visual Studio plugin is balanced by the removal of Nested Virtualization in standard (no emulators). I suppose OneDrive for Business is cool for those who need it. I'm guessing that the "Premium 24/7 phone and email support" isn't worth much, judging from this support forum.

20. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

If Parallels 10 has the features you need, and you are right that Parallels 10 supports 64 GB vRAM/VM, why upgrade to P11? The only way Parallels will change these limits is if they notice people are staying in P10 because it offers them better features for their usage.
    In fact you still have about an year of support for P10.