File Sharing -- Okay, I'm VERY excited

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ahlgren, May 9, 2006.

1. ahlgren

ahlgren Junior Member

I just networked the OS X side to the XP side... as though they are different computers (which they are, really).

On the XP side, I created a network with the network wizard.

On the OS X side, in the utilities folder, under applications, I used the Directory Access.app to configure the SMB/CIFS service to see that network.

When I try to access the XP side from the OS X side, the files come up read-only. I'd appreciate any advice on how to work around this.

However, on the XP side, I can access the OS X side very easily, with a ton of stability, and unbelievble transfer speeds. I can open and save anything.

I think this is going to be key to creating a true shared environment.

I should note here that I never used a Mac before one week ago... I've been on PCs for 15 years. I've never been against Macs, per se -- they're obviously superior machines -- it's just that I have applications I have to use for my work that aren't available on Macs.

So I'm not bragging here... I'm just saying that if I can figure this stuff out, anyone can. I've used Google a LOT... the solutions abound, it seems! If Apple could entice me over -- and believe me, I was skeptical to the end -- I'm very curious to see how the future of the Microsoft vs. Apple war is headed.

You guys at Parallels have really created something great. Hats off to you... the Beta's still got some bugs, but there's no doubt in my mind that this is the beginning of a huge paradigm shift. Thanks.

Any tricks that anyone can share to add to this discovery would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. deathshadow

deathshadow Member

You should be able to set up the folders as writable, just check the box "Allow users to modify my files" under the sharing dialog - assuming XP pro with sharing in 'just do it' (aka win2k) mode. I won't use XP Home or the 'wizards' for the fact they piss me off on simple stuff like this.

I know that XP pro under 2K3 and under Linux I can read/write just fine across SAMBA.