Do not upgrade to Parallels 11!!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by IsraelH, Aug 21, 2015.

?

Do you have a problem with the new Parallels 11?

1. Yes

53.8%
  2. No

46.2%
  1. IsraelH

IsraelH Bit poster

I have been using Parallels on my Mac for many years and versions. My computer is MacBook pro I7 with plenty of space and memory. I have Bootcamp, a VM from the Bootcamp, and two other VMS (Ubuntu and Kubunto) I had Win 7 and while using Parallels 10 upgraded to Win 10. No problems but I was aware of the fact that they were not compatible, so I just used the VM. When Parallels 11 came out, I bought it right away. It ruined my Ubuntu VM and my Win 10. Had to restore my Win 7 on the bootcamp, and then create a VM and upgrade to Win 10. It worked before. Now Parallels is slow, choppy, and it freezes again and again. It is the worst version yet, feels like a half backed product. I wish I would have waited. Not sure if I can fix it or just have to wait for an update with hopes that it would be fixed. In the meanwhile my VMs are not usable...

2. BrianNydish

BrianNydish Member

This always seems to happen on new versions. Until the masses try try it and help Parallels fix the issues,....we deal with this drama. It's always best to wait a few months and let the Guinea Pigs work out the bugs. Eventually,....it's great. Hang in there.

3. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

Maybe the "improvements" were meant for OS X El Capitan when it is released and are currently
    degradations for Yosemite. I know El Capitan is going to have a whole new core graphics framework
    that is supposed to be much, much faster than the current version.

Personally not sure if I will be upgrading since many features currently available in PD10
    have been moved to the ball and chain subscription Pro version.

4. JWhitley

JWhitley Bit poster

On the topic of poor QA, I note that an upgrade to Parallels 11 appears to have reset all of my VM settings to their defaults. E.g. Shared Profiles were turned on (they were off), my Startup and Shutdown settings were reset, the list goes on. So I had to spend a considerable amount of time messing around with getting an otherwise working VM's settings restored for my workflow.

5. DonR1

DonR1 Bit poster

I've seen the choppiness you're referring to when the Paraellels Tools are not installed, or need to be reinstalled due to incomplete Tools installation. You might give that a try.

6. KWLandry

KWLandry Bit poster

Hanging repeatedly, can't get much if anything done, can't cut/paste- that hangs the VM every time and is easily reproduced. Can't work straight out, simply typing in notepad, without hanging every 7, 8, 10 minutes?? Have reinstalled Tools repeatedly, still happens.
    Kudos to the team for a faster version, could tell that right away, but the hangs waste that benefit by orders and orders of magnitude,
    Need this fixed fast, or a solid way to get back to v10, can't gamble going back is going to make things worse.
    And, I agree with waiting until the bugs are worked out but I've always recommended Parallels over Fusion as the releases were better quality out of the gate, hope that's not changing,

Oh, and by the way, I went with the Pro Subscription version, so, will have to weigh whether that faith is a good long term strategy too,

KWL

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  7. TheunisB

TheunisB Bit poster

Same problem and disappointment here

8. StarShot

StarShot Member

Absolutely no problem with my system...
    El Capiton
    Parallels 11
    Windows 10
    All have the latest updates installed. Absolutely, get Parallels 11. That said, my setup seemed just as stable with Parallels 10.