El Capitan on Parallels 11

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by michiboa, Aug 21, 2015.

1. michiboa

michiboa Junior Member

I've upgrated my Parallels 10 to 11 a few days ago. My Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 VMs working fine and fast. Yesterday I created a new VM with OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite. Works also fine. Because I have a Apple developer account, I have also access to OS X 10.11 El Capitan Beta. So I opened my OS X 10.10 VM, opened the Apple store (because I had already downloaded OS X 10.11 Beta 1 a few weeks ago) and started the download of the Beta 1 to install it over the OS X 10.10 VM. The installation starts as normaly. But after a few minutes I got a windows that says that the installation is not possible. What can I do? Is it right that I have to download first the Beta 1 to update it to Beta 7? Or is there a way to directly download the Beta 7? Thanks for help!

Attached Files:

2. michiboa

michiboa Junior Member

Now I tried to download the OS X 10.11 Image and install it directly as new VM. But after it starts to install, I get the attached screen.
    Could anyone explain me, how it is possible to install El Capitain on Parallels 11???

Attached Files:

3. TUAWSteve

TUAWSteve Bit poster

I'm seeing the same things, MichaelL8. Installing a Win10 VM took a few minutes; I've been trying on and off to install 10.11 from a disk image for a few days now with no luck. Just now, I decided to try installing 10.10.5 from the recovery disk and it crashes, too... Not very useful for those of us who want to run 10.11 beta on our Macs without having to reboot.

I'm going to send an email to a Parallels PR person who I've been working with just to see if he can provide any hints.

Steve

4. DonMontalvoCA

DonMontalvoCA Member

I'm getting the same error. Tried bootable USB (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372) and tried pointing to InstallESD.dmg, neither work.
    We have a lot of clients waiting to get their hands on El Capitan (all via Apple Developer memberships), hope this gets sorted out soon.
    Don

5. michiboa

michiboa Junior Member

I buyed Parallels 11 only because the El Capitan support. With a few tricks it was possible to install El Capitan on Parallels 10. But not on the brand new and expensive Parallels 11. Unbelivable!!!:mad:

6. DonMontalvoCA

DonMontalvoCA Member

Tried this time to point Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac to the latest Install OS X El Capitan Developer Beta.app installer.
    It complained that it has to create a temporary OS X image file.dmg image, so I allowed it to.
    Then it tries to install and gets this EFI error...wow, guys need some serious UAT...is this a Beta? :)
    Please shout if you guys (Parallels) need help sorting this out...
    Don

Attached Files:

7. Dear all, we are currently working on the issue with our Development Team.
    Unfortunately we have no ETA, but we will let you know immediately once the fix is available.
    Sorry for the inconvenience but we do our best to resolve this.

8. RobS4

RobS4 Bit poster

Actually, the problem occurs the moment the VM is created. Yosemite (assuming you start with Yosemite) allows the filesystem to be corrupt during installation but El Capitan does not. Repair Disk in Recovery cannot fix the problem.
    Makes you wonder how Parallels tested v11 since the main features is Windows 10 and El Capitan support :(

9. DonMontalvoCA

DonMontalvoCA Member

Thanks Maria, please shout if you need help testing!

10. michiboa

michiboa Junior Member

Once more the users are the beta testers...

11. RobS4

RobS4 Bit poster

The race who is first to support new OSX/Windows (vmware/paralles) seems to be more important nowadays ...

12. michiboa

michiboa Junior Member

Parallels 11 is a shame! All forums are full with problems. Not only with El Capitan. Also with Yosemite and older Mac OS X and also Windows 10. Bring us an update as soon as possible or give us our money back!

13. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

michiboa likes this.
  14. RyanS1

RyanS1 Bit poster

I paid for the Pro version of 11 and have not been able to install El Capitan. They advertise it is supported, but does not work. I opened a support case and have been tossed around between different techs, no being escalated without anyone doing any troubleshooting. I am pretty sure they dont know what they are doing. I am going to switch to VMWare Fusion.

15. michiboa

michiboa Junior Member

In the meantime I was able to install El Capitan Beta 8 on Parallels 11. The first times I've tried to install as basis a copy of my working Yosemite to update on El Capitan. But with the known EFI errors after boot up. But now I downloaded a fresh Yosemite install image (directly from the App Store) and installed it. So I had the Yosemite 10.10 (without the 10.10.5 updates) running and updated to El Capitan. First to the Beta 1 and then directly to Beta 8. It's not very fast but it's running without any problems. Including the Parallel tools. I hope that helps for you, guys!

16. RobS4

RobS4 Bit poster

Finally been able to install El Capitan. First thing is to install Yosemite and upgrade from there. When the VM is created to start installing Yosemite, it's booted into Recovery. Now do not start installing yet but go to Disk Utility and repair both the Macintosh HD and Volume. After this, install Yosemite and upgrade to El Capitan.

17. RobS4

RobS4 Bit poster

Work around #2:
    1) install VM with Yosemite using your Mac's Recovery partition
    2) when installation is done, shutdown the VM
    3) add a new disk in VM config
    4) start the VM and use Disk Utility to prep the new disk
    5) download El Capitan Public/Dev BETA
    6) Install it on the new disk
    7) after installation finishes and boots in El Capitan, shut it down
    8) remove disk #1 from VM config

After starting the VM again you will have El Capitan working in Parallels 11 !!!

I'm also not so sure anymore that Parallels itself is the problem people are facing when trying to upgrade Yosemite VM to El Capitan. Before installing Yosemite VM I ran Disk repair in Recovery Mode. All was fine. After installing Yosemite the disk was corrupted again. I might be a bug in Yosemite. If that is the case: sorry Parallels for shouting out loud :(

18. DonMontalvoCA

DonMontalvoCA Member

Lots of great feedback, but one important point is being missed.
    Our VMs must not have been booted, so installing Yosemite and then upgrading to El Capitan is not a viable workaround for our needs.
    Parallels Desktop 11.0.1 was released, and it did not fix our inability to virtualize El Capitan by pointing it to Install OS X El Capitan GM Candidate.app.
    We realize Betas are like red herrings, hard to catch...but we (and our clients) did shell out money for a working product.
    I'm monitoring this thread, with the hope that we will soon have a working solution to deploy El Capitan to our thousands of Parallels Desktop users. :)
    Don

19. oztrev

oztrev Member

Still no progress? PD11 _said_ it was supported. It's not :(

20. AnisioB

AnisioB Bit poster

How could you screw up such a fine product as Parallels was so far! You even sent an email stating Parallels 10 was fully compatible with El Capitan. Are you are trying to ditch Parallels co. for good?

If I can't get my Boot Camp back, it will take some time to recover my configuration but I'll damn you for good.