Parallels 11 only 8GB vRAM per VM?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by HuubP, Aug 19, 2015.

1. HuubP

HuubP Bit poster

Is it true that version 11 only supports 8GB vRAM per virtual machine?
    I have version 10 now and i have setup 16gb for windows 8.1, and it works fine.

2. Bill Standen

Bill Standen Member

Yep. There's some very significant downgrades of the base product to distinguish the subscription only Pro version at the higher price point. Snapshot rollbacks and Linked Clones are now also Pro exclusive features.

Very poor form IMO.

3. ghtop

ghtop Member

It's a particularly odious form of market segmentation, since it costs Parallels nothing to support such features in both standard and Pro versions. What they've chosen to move to Pro is based entirely on their subjective ideas of what "power users" and "developers" will need.

And bear in mind that the software gets disabled when your Pro subscription expires (as confirmed by Parallels on Twitter, although there's no mention of it on their website or in this forum).

So opting for the Pro version to get back the features you once had also means that your only choice is to rent the software rather than own it from now on. They're expecting us to pay annually in perpetuity for the work they've done on this version.

4. HuubP

HuubP Bit poster

thanks for your feed back!

Parallels should have considered the versions policy before they start selling it.
    What a crappy behaviour.
    So, time to swich to an other solution.

5. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

Unfortunately, the "subscription software" business model is becoming more and more
    prevalent and many vendors make their non-subscription products crippled so that most
    people are forced to pay for the subscription (i.e. ball and chain) product. Some, like Adobe
    with their "Creative Cloud" don't even offer a cripple ware version. Even Microsloth is trying
    to force the subscription direction with their Office products.

In some respects, that model is a good thing for those that only need a product for one project
    and will never use it again but is bad for those who use something day in and day out for months and years.

The "free product upgrade" hook is also a ruse as the vendors selling the "ball and chain ware" will never release
    a new product before an upgrade cycle ends. Even if they do, you still have to keep paying to use it.

BTW, it would not surprise me that VMWare will also move in the same direction in the future.

6. GrinningShark

GrinningShark Junior Member

Sounds to me like the Pro version is just a cash grab to get people locked into a subscription. Companies know that people don't always upgrade when a new version, the subscription just guarantees them a consistent inflow of cash.

I almost upgraded to the non-subscription version and then read all the post here about missing features that are currently in V10 that I used a lot. Basically, if I want those features I have with V10 and am interested in V11... I have to move to the annual subscription model and keep paying forever. Why can't a non-subscription of pro be offered? I only see the subscription model as a way to keep customers on the hook and I'd prefer not to rent software and have the plug pulled on me if I decide the rental value is just not there anymore. And, trying to tell me that pro comes with "free upgrades" and is kind of silly. Nothing is "free" when you are on a subscription, you are paying to use and if you stop paying you get cut-off. Such a shame the software is going in this direction. I guess I will stick with V10.

I have 2 licensed copies of the software (one for my laptop and one for my desktop) and after the first year of the subscription is up, $99/computer is a tough pill to swallow. I have upgraded every year since V6 and now if I want all the same features, I'll be shelling out $200/annually to cover the two systems I use and if I stop paying, I am basically DOA. That's more money than I pay to upgrade each year.

Oh well, guess it's time to move on.

7. AnthonyC2

AnthonyC2 Junior Member

Seems Parallels doesn't care about customers' feeling and satisfaction. They changed a lot......become more selfish. Time to look for other solutions or just use boot camp!

8. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

I have a similar situation as do you. IF the subscription model of Parallels would support a desktop installation
    and a laptop installation on the same license, it would be a less difficult pill to swallow. At least Adobe with their
    Creative Cloud ball and chain model supports at least this much (as did their CS6 and earlier purchased products).

Some of the power user features pushed into the ball and chain pro model were quite useful. However, things
    like included Parallels Access as part of the package is totally useless for me.

So I am in quite a dilemma as to whether to upgrade or not this time (as I had every release since PD2) as I want
    to keep some of the "Pro" features but not be stuck to a ball and chain. And by all accounts, it looks like there will likely
    be no choice as update support for PD10 will be dropped.

Maybe I'll just wait to see if there are major issues with PD10 with El Capitan (which I am sure is very likely).

As to moving to VW Ware, been there, done that, and product sucked and moved to PD as it outperformed
    VMWare hands down in my use. Perhaps it may be time to do a re-evalution to see IF A SWITCH IS IN THE CARDS.

ChrisT3 likes this.
  9. WilliamU

WilliamU Junior Member

This is not related to the OP but I'm confused with some of the above. The other day I was informed of the upgrade to v11 (Parallels Desktop) so I took it but according to the software I have a 'Permanent License' so I am assuming from this that I don't need to pay annually (for v11 at least). Or am I missing something?

10. GrinningShark

I also wish they would allow an install on two seperate systems. I do subscribe to Adobe's photography bundle and have that installed on my laptop and my desktop. Plus I can deactivate either and easily move one to a different system.

It would be ideal if Parallels would support that or at least offer a reasonably priced perpetual version. However, I doubt they are going to do that.

11. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

The "permanent license" only means that you will be able to run the Parallels application
    as long as your hardware and OS X version on it will allow you. As opposed to a subscription
    license where if you don't pay the subscription fee when the subscription runs out, the app ceases to work.

12. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

The vendors which provide perpetual app licenses, i.e. free version upgrades (not minor updates) when available, for single one
    time payment are few and far between. Personally, I only have one application that has done that.

13. HuubP

HuubP Bit poster

This downgrade in Parallels product and service, forced me to take the decision to throw paralles out.
    Just installed windows 10 with bootcamp, no problem, and filesharing between both partitions is possible.
    I hope that bootcamp will evolve that both systems can run simultaniously. This would mean the end of PD.
    I do not think vmware fusion is a good alternative for PD.
    At least i'm not giving in to Parallels greedy license policy.

14. GrinningShark

I was not looking for free upgrades, just to offer the same upgrade options they have for the past several years. I have no problem paying for upgrades, just do not want to be locked into a subscription to continue using the software... especially when it is $49 a year and then appears to go up to $99 a year after that, which is more expensive than their usual upgrade pricing.

I do want the Pro version since it has a few features that I need that were removed from the standard version.

15. ChrisT3

ChrisT3 Member

I even mentioned this when I was posting about the 8gb RAM issue elsewhere - I would pay a bit more for a Pro version that truly gave me more, if I could just buy a damn license. The whole logic here is backwards - you get a dumbed-down "home" version that you can use forever, or a "Pro" version that will shut off COMPLETELY if you stop paying. Of course, it's more of a detriment to a "pro user" if the software shuts down, so Parallels really is just trying to get us over a barrel.

Moreover, their advertising and communications made it SEEM like we were upgrading from PD10 to the "same product" in PD11, with "Pro" being an enhanced version - whereas in reality, PD11 was a downgrade to a lower-tier version, and Pro was pretty much the product we were all used to.

Nonetheless, Parallels processed my refund today and I don't think I'll be back. I picked up a copy of Fusion and hopefully Fusion 8 will work OK with El Capitan - but I agree with EllwoodN - as it stands today, the VMWare product is inferior. A shame, because VMWare has been kind of a pioneer in this segment, and Fusion has been around a long time. They've really dropped the ball with it.

Either way, I am making the switch - I'd rather have a slightly slower product versus buy from a company that plays tricks and messes with their customers.

We need to remember that Parallels has a history of doing stuff like this. It's a company culture, and it keeps getting worse. At least in the post below on the 8 to 9 upgade they say they'd still support 8 - as far as it seems to me, they've pretty much said in writing that they're gonna drop PD10 support (win10, El Capitan) like a hot rock.

https://forum.parallels.com/threads/parallels-8-upgrade-to-parallels-9-complain-page.290567/
    http://arstechnica.com/information-...access-to-windows-apps-on-ipad-for-80-a-year/

Oliver_Ebert and AnthonyC2 like this.
  16. GrinningShark

I am going to jump to VMWare also, just been unhappy with dumb decisions for Parallels. It is inferior in some ways, but their licensing it much better and they don't have a subscription model. My guess is that they won't shift to subscription, they have been doing this longer than anyone else and hopefully they know their customers and listen to them like I remember. I used to use VMWare on a PC when it first came out many years ago. I moved to Mac in 2011 and found Parallels to be a good option and recommended by many. I have used VirtualBox also on the PC and Mac, but its performance isn't that not.

Maybe its just me, it feels like a subscription model and VM software aren't a good fit.

17. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

I've downloaded the VMWare Pro trial and will start working with it next week. Will see
    if it has improved from what it was like years ago. Their "Pro" version is a perpetual license!!!!
    Also, I found the Parallels comparisons to VMWare misleading as well. Parallels compares
    their subscription "Pro version" to the VMWare base version!!!!!!!

18. Guzz_1984

Guzz_1984 Bit poster

I'm with you guys.

I usually upgrade every single new release on the first day. I don't mind paying the upgrade price every year.

But, removing features from the base product and making them available only in a "Pro" subscription-only version is just wrong. I feel cheated and won't be upgrading this time.

I'm currently running version 10 on El Captian without any problems, so I'll keep using this version until some future OS X version breaks compatibility, then I'll move on to a different solution if Parallels hasn't changed their minds in between.

Oliver_Ebert and AnthonyC2 like this.
  19. FlemmingD

FlemmingD Bit poster

Hi,
    I will stick with version 10 for now! I need the pro version but renting the software just doesn't make sense :(
    I there is going to be a normal payed Pro version of version 11 I would buy that :)

20. JorgL

JorgL Bit poster

after i bought pd 10 on july 23 and i got no answer from pd about a free copy of pd 11 i´ll stick on pd 10 as well. i bought a 1tb ssd and i am now on boot camp (win 10) without any restrictions.
    pd 10 is just for my old win 7 but with 16gb lol!

F.U.I.