Important: Am I reading this correctly?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by EllwoodN, Aug 24, 2015.

1. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

I was looking at the upgrade to the Pro version. On this page:
    https://buy.parallels.com/329/purl-pd11proupg1ysub
    There is a light gray line stating:
    "This is a subscription product with a fee of $49.99 per year. You may cancel your subscription at any time."

If I am reading this correctly, it will only ever cost me $49.99 per year forever and ever
    as long as the subscription is renewed each year? Or, will it jump to $99.99 per year
    after the initial year is up?

If the former is true, then it may make the subscription for the Pro version more palatable as
    the upgrades are usually around that price and occur pretty much on an annual basis.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

From what I gather...
    If you pick the normal one year subscription (no upgrade), you pay 99.99 now and per year. The 2 year subscription, 179.99 now and every 2 years.

However, it seems Parallels is making this special offer for existing users, of giving them this permanent discount of 49.99 now and per year, forever. Which is basically what a customer who upgraded every year paid before P11.

"Limited offer to existing customers"

3. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

Another point to clear up. Is this a true subscription, i.e. when the term is up and the
    subscription is not renewed, Parallels Desktop will then be non-functional (like Adobe CC)? I realize
    that use of Parallels Access would certainly end (since it is normally an annual fee based item).

Or, like the previous subscription service, you simply will not automatically receive upgrades
    and the current copy is still functional? Of course again Access would be discontinued.

Hopefully, a Parallels employee can give an official answer to this.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

5. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

Thanks Specimen. That makes the decision as to whether to continue with Parallels
    or switch a bit difficult.

Pretty much puts the decision between a rock and a hard place. Once "locked in" and decide next year
    not to continue, PD10 may not be compatible with whatever OS X is available at that time or the
    next Windows (if it happens). Reverting the VMs may or may not be possible as well. Also,
    downgrading to a non-Pro PD and importing VMs could also be an issue (if such an option exists
    a year from now).

Not a good place for someone that has used a product since PD 1 for Mac to be in trying to decide
    whether to move away to Fusion.