Parallels 11 and Snapshots

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MJedi, Aug 20, 2015.

1. MJedi

MJedi Member

One of the features I like about Parallels is creating snapshots. Reading the threads here, it seems Parallels 11 does not allow snapshots anymore and it's been moved to the Pro Edition. However, when I read the Readme for Parallels Desktop 11, one of the General Enhancements says: "Virtual Machines with Snapshots enabled now support compacting." This is under the "standard" edition. So which is the truth?

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v11/docs/en_US/Readme for Parallels Desktop 11.pdf

I am disappointed that support for more than 8GB in VM's has been removed from the standard edition. If snapshots are now a "Pro" feature, I'll have to look at the competition. I don't want to pay yearly just for a feature that was present in a previous version.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  2. MJedi

MJedi Member

Anyone?

3. ChrisT3

ChrisT3 Member

You'll also be losing linked clones, MacLook, >4 VCPUs, and probably a few other things they haven't told us yet.

They have trimmed down the standard version in a number of ways - deeming it "more than sufficient" for their users. Apparently they make that decision, not us.

4. MJedi

MJedi Member

The question remains: can I create and manage snapshots in Parallels 11 Standard version?

5. ChrisT3

ChrisT3 Member

MJedi,

The answer is an unequivocal "no".

6. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @MJedi - snapshots is a part of standard edition of Parallels Desktop 11. It's also available in Pro edition.

7. MJedi

MJedi Member

Thank you! And does standard edition include the ability to rollback to previous snapshots? I've read around here and other forums that rollback mode was removed.

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Andrew,

There are some Parallels 11 Std users reporting Snapshots isn't available for them.

9. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @Specimen - Snapshots functionality is available in both editions of Parallels Desktop 11 for sure.
    All - please post here if you cannot find it, we'll help.

Specimen likes this.
  10. MJedi

MJedi Member

@Andrew@Parallels And what about rollback mode? Or is that different from going back to a previous snapshot?

11. Hi, when you use the roll back mode after starting VM application creates temporary snapshot and after that you will be able to make any changes.
    Then, when you click shut down VM you will see the notification about "saving changes" (please see a screenshot), after you choose (save or not) the temporary snapshot will be removed.
    So the reverting back to the previous snapshot looks like the roll back mode but there are some differences:
    1. You need to create the snapshot before starting VM by yourself and revert back to it manually.
    2. You may revert back to any snapshot you have not only to the previous one.

Attached Files:

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The user specifically asked if the Standard edition of P11 has the rollback mode.

13. Thanks, I've just inform him about the difference..
    Anyway, @MJedi we would like to let you know that the Roll back mode has been moved to Parallels Desktop Pro and no more available in Standard edition.

14. MJedi

MJedi Member

The way I understood rollback mode is that it allows me to revert to a previous snapshot. Now I see there is a distinction between "rollback" and "revert to snapshot." Thanks for clarifying that.

It's a shame Parallels removed rollback mode from PD11 standard edition, when it's in there PD10.

15. Yep, we've heard the similar feedback and we've already reported it to the marketing team. As for not having this feature in the standard edition, we will notify the development team. Thanks!

16. MJedi

MJedi Member

Thank you. I'm sure you've also read the complaints of how RAM and CPU for VM's in PD11 Standard are capped at 8GB and 4 CPU's, when PD10 did not have this limitation. Please notify the development team of this downgrade as well.

17. ChristianH4

ChristianH4 Bit poster

Just sell a Pro version for 20 $ more at least for upgrade users and all the complaining will stop. Who wants subscription services? This is something for cloud services where it is fine but not for end devices and software running on those local devices.

StefanR1 and GeraldFi like this.