Parallels 11 and Windows 10 Upgrade Problems...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JoelCYYZ, Aug 27, 2015.

1. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

I am currently running a 2012 MBA, Parallels 11, and a Windows 7 VM...in the Windows 7 system tray there is an icon to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10...when I press/select the icon I get a message that Windows 7 cannot be upgraded because the Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) is not compatible with Windows 10 (see the attached file images).

I purchased Parallels 11 so that I could run Windows 10 and as such would greatly appreciate an explanation as to how make this happen. The other point worth noting is that I would ideally like to keep my Windows 7 VM and create/run a new/separate Windows 10 VM, is this possible.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

This has come up in the forum multiple times and so is the answer: http://kb.parallels.com/en/123053

As for maintaining the previous version. Just make a copy of the .pvm before upgrading.

3. JosephC2

JosephC2 Bit poster

Hi all,

I have upgraded to Parallels 11 and followed the steps stated in article 123053. I still have the "Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) not compatible" issue.

Thanks for help.
    Joe

4. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

Specimen, appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will try to the Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade when I return from work later tonight.

5. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

Specimen et. al., the steps outlined in Knowledge Base article 123053 did NOT work for me either in that when I tried to upgrade I got a message that "Something happened" (i.e. see the attached file).

The other point to note that the same message occurred regardless of whether I i) saved and then ran the file or ii) ran the file. Please help!

Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. Argelian

Argelian Member

Hi,

I received the same error message and what I did to circumvent that is that I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file and mounted it in my Win7 VM and then upgraded that way. It seem to have worked just fine that way and did not complain about the WDDM drivers not working.

Though lately I've been getting a lot of Direct3D fatal errors and I can't seem to track down the source of that.. I suspect it has something to do with Yosemite as I've *never* had this much trouble with playing games in a Parallels VM.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Have you tried reinstalling Parallels Tools and changing the DirectX settings in the graphics preferences of the virtual machine?

8. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

Appreciate the response, could you please provide the URL for the Windows 10 ISO file.

Thanks.

9. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

As I doubt that I am the only person who has encountered this issue I -- and all others who have this problem -- would appreciate the assistance of those who can answer...thanks in advance!

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

11. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

Got me, kind of....yes, I know about Google and searching (duh!) but i) I did that it it did not work ii) I was looking for an ISO to download from a trusted site without going through the Windows Media Creation Tool (because I could not get that to work)...that said, I figured out a work-around and am now up and running a Windows 10 VM, all is good!

Thanks!

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The first result is from microsoft.com... the OFFICIAL download location

13. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

Appreciate and understand that...and, in an attempt to be clear, the issue that I was experiencing was that I was having a number of different issues/problems in downloading the ISO file from the MS site so was looking for another TRUSTED alternative that would work....I do hope this clarifies and, once again, thanks!

14. Argelian

Argelian Member

I haven't been able to come up with a link personally. I just managed to snag the ISO in my travels as I needed to purchase another license that did not have an upgrade path possible. But you can bypass the error message by upgrading via the ISO.

15. Argelian

Argelian Member

I haven't but I should give that a try, thank you. And of course, bump up the available video memory :)