Parallels Desktop 11 - Some features now only in Pro Version

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by WrightA, Aug 26, 2015.

?

Do you think Parallels should publish changes to features that are now only in Pro?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WrightA

WrightA Bit poster

I picked up in a thread that some 'Advanced' network features are now only in the Pro version of PD11.
    After spending a bit of time reading over the manual, I found that port forwarding is indeed now only included in the Pro version.
    If such changes to features and versions are to be made, I would have thought it sensible for Parallels to make these more obvious. It would save upgrading users a lot of grief when they discover a feature they currently use is no longer available to them. Would probably save a good number of refund requests too!
    So, now knowing this, I won't be upgrading my PD10 anytime soon. In fact, I'm now of to look at the competition's VM products...

2. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

I am in total agreement with you and what is worse is the ball and chain licensing in order to get
    those feature, i.e. you need to continue paying forever if you want to continue using the VMs.
    If they want to create a "pro" product, they should at least offer a perpetual license as well
    as a subscription. I am sure some folks would pay somewhat more for a Pro upgrade
    perpetual license (sans silly Access). The subscription model would still likely sell for
    those who would like Access and desktop upgrades bundled (some businesses prefer
    subscription type licensing for some reason).

RobertF1 likes this.
  3. Guys please find the list of features which have been moved to Parallels Desktop Pro below:

Rollback mode

Feature description: http://kb.parallels.com/en/115990

Clone VM and Linked Clone

Feature description: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122669

Software Development and Design profiles

Now only two VM profiles are available while creating a VM

PMU and Nested virtualizations
    PMU (Power Management Unit) virtualization is used by a performance monitoring tool, such as Intel VTune Amplifier or OProfile, to optimize the program code.

4. TomG1

TomG1 Bit poster

AAARGHH! This is horrible. I can no longer access my Windows guest via remote desktop since you need port forwarding to do that. That's 99% how I use that guest. Un-necessary grief indeed. This software is useless to me.
    How do I request a refund for the upgrade?
    Maria, did you leave the networking changes off your list of affected features?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    RobertF1 likes this.
  5. ChrisT3

ChrisT3 Member

Maria, is this list not incomplete? As it stands, this is what's been revealed as "missing" in PD10:

• The ability to allocate over 8GB of RAM to a VM
    • The ability to assign more than 4 vCPUs to a VM
    • Rollback mode (but not Snapshots - I was mistaken on this earlier)
    • Linked Clones
    • Clone VM
    • Internal DHCP settings
    • Port Forwarding
    • Nested Virtualization
    • Software Development Profiles
    • CLI Commands
    Is that *everything*, Maria, or are we missing more?

6. ghtop

ghtop Member

You can add to that list:
    • Vagrant provider
    • VM templates create/convert

7. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton Product Expert

I'm not sure any of this matters right now, no? as they are both the same price? Or am I missing something... I just bought pro just for that reason. ha!

8. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

And if you do not keep paying for it every year forever, whether there are upgrades or not,
    the Pro version will cease to work!!!!!

9. Jigs Gaton

EllwooN, seriously? How would they do that? I assumed you just don't have support after that. Wow.

10. ghtop

ghtop Member

I'm *really* interested to know how many people upgrading to PD 11 Pro also haven't realised this. FYI, they tweeted the info about the subscription terms:

https://twitter.com/ParallelsMac/status/634084075389759488

If anyone can find a relevant link on the main site, KB article or in this forum, I can stop posting that Twitter link ;)

ChrisT3 likes this.
  11. ChrisT3

ChrisT3 Member

Hmm, seems you were unclear what they meant by yearly subscription.

Nope. They aren't the same price. For your $49, you've rented Pro for a year. If you don't pay again, it shuts off completely.

12. Jigs Gaton

I see. I'm trying to think of other software that I "own" that would do that... perhaps Adobe CC suite? I don't know, because I just pay every year on time. Wordpress plugins? No, you just lose support, but the plugins still work for perpetuity on pro subscriptions. Office 365? Again, I don't know what happens, as I just pay every year on time. So, I suppose it does not really matter (to me) anymore... pay as you go, pay to play, just keep paying!