Are we required to upgrade to PD11 to run Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LivePsy, Aug 23, 2015.

1. LivePsy

LivePsy Bit poster

I purchased PD10 in April and very happy with running Windows 8.1. If I want to upgrade the VM to Windows 10 to keep it the same as my other computers, do I have to upgrade to PD11 first? I would be upgrading via the full ISO so I don't care about any problems with the Get Windows 10 app.

2. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

FWIW, I have Win10 Pro VMs running quite well so far on 2 different Macs
    in PD 10. One clean install of Win10 went silky smooth and the other had a few minor
    bumps.

3. LivePsy

LivePsy Bit poster

Thanks, I'll experiment with upgrading to W10 when I want t lose a weekend ;)

4. DMiles

DMiles Member

In my experience, Windows 10 works great in PD10 as long as you don't use Coherence. I'm not sure if PD10 will be updated to fix its Coherence problems or not, but it hasn't so far.

5. ghtop

ghtop Member

It won't: ""With Parallels Desktop 10, we offer full support for Windows 10 in full-screen and window mode, but we do not in Coherence mode and that will not be changing," Parallels spokesperson John Uppendahl told Ars in a phone interview."
    http://arstechnica.co.uk/informatio...ware-software-wont-be-updated-for-windows-10/

LivePsy likes this.
  6. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Junior Member

What about parallels9? I cannot justify the upgrade price of Parallels, I really don't need all the whiz bang features, parallels9 works perfectly fine, but if they try to tell me that i have to buy a $50 upgrade of parallels in order to support Windows10, then I'm jumping ship to a new VM. Can anyone confirm that I need to jump ship or not?

7. LivePsy

LivePsy Bit poster

OK, so I have to upgrade to PD11 at some point before moving my work from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 because I really need coherence mode. Oh well, at least I know what I'm up for.