Unable to transfer Windows 10 to new user acct

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by wenfeen, Aug 28, 2015.

1. wenfeen

wenfeen Member

Necessary to create a new user account on my computer using 10.10.5. I am the only user. My Windows 10 was a Microsoft download upgrading from Windows 7. I reinstalled Parallels 10 but am having difficulty reinstalling Windows 10 for which I have no DVD. The Windows.pvm is in my Documents folder in the Parallels folder, but I'm obviously missing components to reinstall Windows. I'm at a loss to proceed. All the elements are in the other user account on my Mac. Is there an easy to way to do it that I'm obviously overlooking?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Copy/Move the .pvm 'file' to your new user account. The pvm is the whole virtual machine.

3. wenfeen

wenfeen Member

I tried doing that, but all I get is a lot of code on the screen and it won't advance to the installation. I'm getting a message related to the operating system being missing.
    Thanks for trying!

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

That's because you didn't actually copy it.

Take a look here, this details how to make your VM available to various users, which is probably what you want: http://kb.parallels.com/en/9303

5. wenfeen

wenfeen Member

I followed all the instructions to the letter. Moved the Windows.pvm to my Shared user account "parallels". Also followed all the Terminal commands, but when it asked for the password in Terminal, it absolutely wouldn't type in anything and kept asking for the password. Repeated the same efforts over and over with the same result.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I don't know how experienced you are with the command line, but the password is hidden when you type it (not even dots or asterisks), just type the password of an account with administrative powers and press enter at the end.

7. wenfeen

wenfeen Member

I know it isn't shown, but it kept asking for the password even after I typed it in. I appreciate your help. Think I'm going to give up on it for today.

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You are putting in the password of the wrong account. Or you misspelled it.

This is a tried and tested functionality of the system in OS X (sudo). If it's failing is likely to be a user error.