Moving Parallels & windows to new user acct on Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by wenfeen, Aug 28, 2015.

1. wenfeen

wenfeen Member

I had to enter a new administrator user acct on my Imac 10.10.5 and am having great difficulty in installing my Windows 10 (automatic download from Microsoft) into my new user account. Parallels 10 is reinstalled, but apparently there are components missing to reinstall Windows 10. The Windows.pvm is in my documents folder but I'm stuck. The components I must need are in the other user acct. Can anyone help me make this transition? I don't have the DVD; I upgraded from Windows 7. I am not an expert but usually can follow through if instructed. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi wenfeen,
    If you want to share a virtual machine among several Mac user accounts, you need to place your virtual machine in a directory which is accessible to all those accounts. The optimal variant is the /Users/Shared/ directory, where you can create a dedicated Parallels folder to store all of the virtual machine's files.
    Every user should have permissions to read, write, and execute the virtual machine's files.
    http://kb.parallels.com/9303

3. wenfeen

wenfeen Member

Thank you. I did moved the pvm file and finally got it to work just fine.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @wenfeen Glad your issue has been resolved successfully. Feel free to reach us anytime. We're here to help. Thanks!