Windows 10 free for life of the device. Will new parallels versions be seen as new hardware

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BenG4, Aug 20, 2015.

1. BenG4

BenG4 Bit poster

Hello all.
    Have installed a legitimate version of windows 10 under parallels 11.
    Windows 10 seems to have changed how it validates licence status. I believe a Windows 10 installation is now good "for the life of the device".
    Some sort of hardware signature is sent to Windows and this is used for Windows 10 validation / authorisation / reinstallation.

My question to parallels is, as they frequently update and release new versions of parallels, have they confirmed with Microsoft that the Windows 10 licensing will remain valid?
    I know my physical hardware won't change (macbook air) .
    Does Parallels emulate any significant hardware that may impact the Windows 10 licensing if it is updated or changed ?

My concern is that a future parallels release could break the Windows 10 authorisation. Hopefully it is a non issue, can anyone confirm.

2. LeeC1

LeeC1 Bit poster

I too would like to know this. A pretty important issue really!

3. LeeC1

LeeC1 Bit poster

From the silence I would guess that either they don't know (since MS is being so quiet about the licensing issues) or that it will invalidate the license. A massive problem that Parallels need to resolve or lose their ability to get users to update to new versions.

4. BenG4

BenG4 Bit poster

100% agree LeeC1, this issue seems fundamental to the future of parallels as a solution for Windows 10 (the future of Windows) on a Mac.
    Can't believe there has not been any response from Parallels, even to say we are looking in to it ...
    Might 'phone them. Think I am still in my latest 30 day support phase.

5. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I would guess no -- that is, no I don't believe it will be seen as new hardware, so long as you are using the same instance of the Virtual Machine...

I've owned a license from every parallels version since it was first released oh so many years ago.

I've used to be fearful of this every time I upgraded my version, but though every upgrade it's been pretty much transparent.

I stated in a seperate post that I believe the hardware Windows detects is based on parameters contained within the VM file itself. While I don't know this to be 100% true, this belief is based off the idea that in all my upgrades for versions Windows has never blinked...

The only time Windows ever tried re-activating itself was after changing a parameter such as the amount of available ram or the number of processors.

I've already tested my ability to to a clean install on a VM with an activated copy of Windows 10. When I first upgraded to Windows 10 I installed over a 32 bit version of Windows 7. I've since downloaded the 64 bit ISO and performed a clean install on the same VM. Once compete Windows 10 successfully activated itself based off my previous activation of that same VM during the upgrade.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  6. BenG4

BenG4 Bit poster

That makes a lot of sense bobbyt, thank you for replying.
    I can confirm that Windows 10 has not required re-activation for the addition of ram on either VM or physical machines.
    Changing the number of processors would be an interesting experiment.
    My assumption at the moment is that the hardware signature is tied in with the chips on the motherboard, hence my concerns about parallels changing a virtual or emulated motherboard.
    Hopefully, Parallels reaches out to Microsoft to get some definitive answers.
    I would boot camp Windows 10 but my 2011 Mac book air is not (yet?) supported by Apple.