Local Network Unreachable but Internet OK

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by sgharp, Aug 31, 2015.

1. sgharp

sgharp Bit poster

Hi Guys,
    I'm running Parallels v11 on OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite as host. My guests are CentOS 7 and Windows 10. My guests can ping my gateway or Google just fine but can't ping any computer on my local network (nor can machines on my local network ping a Parallels guest). I'm using Shared networking and I have the Parallels DHCP to server IP addresses on the same subnet has my local network (I get the same results with the defaults 10.x.x.x). All computers (guests and local computers) have the same NetMask and default gateway. Also, I have other VMs running on a Linux server using KVM and they have no similar problems.

Ideas?
    Also, is there a way to get the Parallels guests to use the same DCHP server that the rest of my local network uses or do I have to use the Parallels DHCP?

2. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi,
    In the Shared Networking mode, your virtual machine can access other computers on your local network and the Internet by using the IP address of the physical computer. The virtual machine itself does not have its own IP address on the network. So, change the network settings to Default Adapter as per the steps mentioned below so that your Virtual Machine can see the other computers on the network:

1. Choose Configure from the Virtual Machine menu to open the Virtual Machine Configuration dialog.
    2. Select Network Adapter in the Hardware list.
    3. On the Network Adapter pane, make sure that the Enabled, Connected and Default Adapter(under Bridged Network) options are selected.

3. sgharp

sgharp Bit poster

Thanks ManojK. My host is a MacBook Pro and the Wifi adapter on a MacBook doesn't support bridged network mode. I have to use Shared Network for all of my guest VMs. This is a known limitation of the MacBook Wifi adapter.

4. sgharp

sgharp Bit poster

I may have solved it! I setup a second adapter on the VM using the suggestion from ManojK. Now, I have an adapter setup for Shared Networking which gives me Internet access and a second adapter which is Bridged and gives me access to and from machines on my local network.

5. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

That's a great workaround! Perfect for your scenario. Thanks for sharing it out here. Update us if there are any more changes/updates.