Upgrading to Parallels 11 from 10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Darren_Coleman, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I retract what I said about the standard version, it is missing some features P10 had, I actually haven't used the standard as I'm using the Pro. For me, if I had to choose between P11 standard and P10, I would prefer P10, specifically because P11 Std lacks rollback mode.

2. ghtop

ghtop Member

Good question, and valid points! This is what every user should be asking themselves rather than hitting the upgrade button unthinkingly.

I certainly won't be upgrading for now, and we'll have to see if the fixes for Windows 10 & El Capitan and things like Boot Camp partition support on the 12-inch Macbook are rolled back into P10 over the next year (they've already said that coherence mode in Windows 10 won't be fixed in P10).

Edit: sorry, missed the quote.

3. Jose M

Jose M Bit poster

Gracias, Specimen I resolved my issue with your suggestions.

4. DanielWilliams

DanielWilliams Bit poster

you're not the only one!

5. JorgL

JorgL Bit poster

JUST SHIT!!!

6. PaulBurger

PaulBurger Bit poster

I must agree... I upgraded to v10 on 8 Jul 2015 in an attempt to fix a problem so wasn't thinking of release cycles...

I really think they should rethink their pricing model, e.g. $50-60 gets you two versions for free. They should also allow more installs like VMWare should also be allowed.

7. thegoofs@mac.com

thegoofs@mac.com Junior Member

I am having a similar issue. I purchased Parallels Desktop 11 pro and received a download link and activation key. I installed Parallels Desktop 11 pro and logged in with my account information and entered my product key which was accepted. However, the new version and product key does not show in my account, and when trying to register the product key, I get an error saying "They key you entered is not a valid key. Please make sure you have a valid key and try again or contact Parallels Support Team for assistance." Without the registration of this product I am unable to get phone support. I ask that a representative of the Parallels support team contact me ASAP to resolve this issue.

8. MurrayE

MurrayE Junior Member

Unless I'm badly mistaken, there's one significant difference between the specifications for Parallels Desktop 11 versions:
    • The "regular" version has a virtual RAM limit of 8GB, but
    • the "Pro Edition" boots that virtual RAM limit to 64GB.
    See: http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/#c50587

9. J.R1

J.R1 Bit poster

Agree with this - I have requested (and received) a refund for Pro version (Upgrade?) which I purchased on info provided in email sent out (and also the hope that new version would fix Windows 10 update issues with WDDM error.) Unfortunately same issues exist with Widows 10 update in new version. Time to look at Fusion maybe?

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Because this is a subscription, your key will appear in the subscriptions and licenses link, not the Parallels Desktop one on your account.

11. Edward Denny

Edward Denny Bit poster

The answer is yes per the Parallels Desktop 11 User's Guide.

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

http://kb.parallels.com/en/123053

13. AnthonyC2

AnthonyC2 Junior Member

I used the above link to upgrade to Windows 10. However, I received this warning at the end of the Windows upgrade from Parallels Desktop:
    (The virtual machine is booting from a Boot Camp partition. The version of Windows installed in the virtual machine is not officially supported by Boot Camp. If you continue, you may encounter problems with Microsoft Windows or Office activation.) What is going on? Anyway, i have no choice but proceed the final installation. I end up my antivirus program installed in the Windows is disappeared, i cannot open the 'Setting' using the Windows icon at the left hand bottom corner, some of the software cannot display the whole page,.......I really want to downgrade it back to Windows 7! What can I do? When I use BootCamp to boot the Windows, it asks me to activate the Windows. However, when I click the activate icon, it just flash and back to asking me to activate it. Too many problems....

14. J.R1

J.R1 Bit poster

Unfortunately the solution provided by Parallels to fix the Windows 10 upgrade is only a workaround. It is fraught with danger, attested by many on this forum. I will wait until new version fixes this problem.

15. JohnL6

JohnL6 Bit poster

Hmmm...interesting. I actually upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 using Parallels 10, using the media builder file provided by Parallels and everything ran just fine. I also upgraded to Parallels 11 and both my Windows 7 and Windows VMs are operating normally. One thing I will say that my "perception" is that Parallels 11 isn't quite as fast and snappy as Parallels 10 was...but still operating within an acceptable range for me.

16. rogjack

rogjack Bit poster

I upgraded to Parallels 10 a couple of weeks ago and have now had the free upgrade to Parallels 11. Soon after installing 10 I started to get a problem with a USB device connected to Windows 8.1 in Parallels. Whenever Parallels is restarted the USB is not recognised and I have to reinstall Parallels tools before it will work. As I say, this problems exists for me in Parallels 10 and 11 but was not present in Parallels 9. Any suggestions would be welcome.

17. GiuseppeL1

GiuseppeL1 Bit poster

I purchased Parallels 10 June 16, 2015 taking advantage of the discount as your anniversary and now, after about two months, I come out with a new relese asking me to buy it again.
    This type of approach has not been for nothing pleasing.
    You could at least warn of approaching the issue, at least I could wait for the purchase, which also would have done where it is more or less the same price.
    I trusted in something more from a big brand like yours.

18. AnthonyC2

AnthonyC2 Junior Member

I have the same experience as you and hereunder is the answer from Parallels
    Nothing forces you to buy Parallels 11, Parallels 10 is still supported and will still be supported with updates for about one more year.
    The upgrade discount is valid for the previous version and the one before, meaning that if you have waited a little longer you could've, for the same price, upgraded from 9 to 11, or you can now wait a year and upgrade from 10 to 12, Parallels has always released a new version each year around this time.
    Generally, my advice to other users is to upgrade every 2 versions.

19. GiuseppeL1

GiuseppeL1 Bit poster

Dear Anthony, I lived without parallels until a few months ago and, as things stand, I can do it for many years to come.
    Certainly, after the treatment received and also others like me who bought two months ago the 10 version, I think the judgment is bad and certainly recommend other software.

20. ghtop

ghtop Member

This is a bit disingenuous when there are things that clearly still don't work in PD10 - like making a VM from a Boot Camp partition on the 12-inch Macbook, or coherence mode for Windows 10. Who knows what if anything they'll now add to PD10 - they've already said they won't fix coherence for Windows 10.