VM "dead" for two days? / Win10 / Parallels 11

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DMiles, Aug 24, 2015.

1. DMiles

DMiles Member

I had some scheduled tasks not run in Parallels 11 / Windows 10 over the weekend. It almost looks like the entire VM was asleep or suspended, but "Pause Windows when possible" was NOT checked, and I don't see any log entries in either the Mac system logs or the Windows event logs about any sleep or suspend/resume events. The VM was in coherence mode, and the Mac was awake (but the screen was locked and asleep) the entire weekend. Here are the only log entries I can find that might be relevant, and they're in the Mac's system.log:

Aug 22 02:43:25 [ip address redacted] WindowServer[141]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Windows 10" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
    Aug 22 02:43:39 [ip address redacted] WindowServer[141]: disable_update_likely_unbalanced: UI updates still disabled by application "Windows 10" after 15.00 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds). Likely an unbalanced disableUpdate call.

Aug 24 08:49:00 [ip address redacted] WindowServer[141]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Windows 10" after 194743.30 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

The latter log entry was generated when I unlocked the Mac this morning. The Windows Event Log has no entries whatsoever during the two days between the above Mac system log events. The reason I believe the issue lies in Parallels and not Windows is that the Windows event log shows nothing about any sleep event or any such thing, other than an event where a process updated the Windows clock at Aug24 08:49:05, which I assume was Parallels Tools syncing the Windows clock to the Mac clock after the VM was "dead" for two days.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

2. DMiles

DMiles Member

This happened again yesterday morning, and my scheduled tasks didn't run this morning. Still no one else seeing these symptoms?

3. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

A few things, 1 you aren't running this on a laptop are you? 2) Is your Mac set to sleep? If so, the VM will sleep with the Mac. Note, even if you are on the iMac, it still goes to sleep when screen is off. 3) Go to your power settings in windows and make sure the profile selected is either high performance or parallels and make sure that windows is not set to sleep either.

I used to have my VMs run constantly with no issues of them going to sleep on a mac pro.

4. DMiles

DMiles Member

Alas, I wish it were that simple. :)

The Mac (Mac Mini - not a laptop) is set to never sleep, and indeed, it has its own cron jobs that scheduled during these episodes that ran fine. I've looked at all the power settings, including the advanced settings on both the Mac and in the Win10 VM, and nothing is set to sleep other than the Mac display. I believe I also already mentioned that neither Mac nor Windows has any system log events relating to sleep or suspend activity. The Mac's display does go to sleep, but the computer is still running. It's as though the Windows machine just locks up for hours/days and then suddenly reawakens when I unlock the Mac.

I, too, have run scheduled tasks in a 24/7 VM this way for years. This intermittent behavior is new with the Windows 10/Parallels 11 combo.

5. DMiles

DMiles Member

*Bump* Happened again yesterday afternoon through this morning. (I was off work yesterday, so I didn't interact with the machine since Tuesday afternoon.) I've been trying to turn off Coherence when I'm not here, and have not seen it happen when not in Coherence. That's not conclusive, with such an intermittent problem, but it might help.