boot from thumb drive

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PragmaticPraxis, Sep 1, 2015.

1. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

I am attempting to test windows installs from a thumb drive, and also ideally network installs with a bootable Windows PE thumb drive. I am hoping I can validate both scenarios, but currently I am having trouble even with the first one. I need to have the VM running to assign the USB thumb drive, but I need the VM shut down to assign the external media as a boot option. And when i thought I had it right, it failed to boot, so now I am wondering, is this actually possible, and I just have something wrong? In which case, can anyone point me at a nice, concise step by step? Or am I barking up an empty tree and I just need to buy a little Brix or NUC box for this stuff? FWIW I am using Yosemite & PD 9 at the moment. Debating the upgrade to 11 because even the forced yearly update "Pro" version still is three years behind on what I need from graphics (Revit and NavisWorks have been DX11 for some time now, and some other Autodesk design tools are OpenGL 4 I think. Parallels is hardly "professional" in that respect).
    Anyway, rant off. If I need to upgrade to test OS installs I will, but if I am just doing something wrong and I can do this in PD9 that would be ideal.

Thanks for any direction, even simply "Give up and get a NUC".
    Gordon