Will Parallels 10 work with El Capitain?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by PaulP1, Aug 19, 2015.

1. PaulP1

PaulP1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I can't find any detail on whether my current version 10 of Parallels will still work after I upgrade to El Capitain. I am very happy with the performance of Parallels 10 under OS X 10.10.5 so I am reluctant to spend the extra dollars on Parallels 11 if there is no real benefit to me.

2. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi PaulP1,
    We cannot assure the compatibility of Parallels Desktop 10 with El Capitan still as it is in its Beta stage only. We would suggest you to wait till its official release. However we are all prepared for El Capitan with our Latest version, Parallels Desktop 11. Please subscribe to our newsletter by following the steps mentioned in the link below.
    http://kb.parallels.com/117011
    You will be updated about all the product updates via Email.

3. jtsr43

jtsr43 Bit poster

so will version 10 not be updated to support El Capitan?

4. rtom157

rtom157 Bit poster

I had to upgrade to 10 to ensure "compatibility" with Yosemite. If I now have to upgrade again to ensure "compatibility" with El Capitan then this will be the end for my use of Parallels. I can see in future that I will have to pay every year to keep using Parallels and so it is effectively "subscription software" which I do not tolerate.

5. Dear all,
    Parallels is a software company that focuses its resources on creating virtualization software to support both the Mac and Windows communities.
    Since Apple releases new operating systems every year, we have to keep our software up-to-date to be compatible with every new OS X getting released annually.
    This development is very resource-consuming and comes with costs, and unlike Apple (which sells a lot of hardware products and able to afford free-of-charge OS upgrade) it is not feasible for Parallels to offer no charge upgrades to the new versions of Parallels Desktop.

6. rtom157

rtom157 Bit poster

So are you confirming that Parallels 10 will stop working as soon as I upgrade to El Capitan? Please can you make clear exactly what will happen on upgrade to El Capitan because the process is not easily reversible. As I wrote, I intend to stop using Parallels but need some time to convert data from my last Windows program (Microsoft Money) to a Mac program. Once that is done, I will have no further need of Parallels.

7. Hi, if you would like to use the Parallels Desktop 10 you can continue to use it. The 11 version is fully compatible with the El Capitan, like the 10 version is fully compatible with Yosemite, but it doesn't mean that you will not be able to use your Parallels Desktop 10 with El Capitan host OS

8. GaryF1

GaryF1 Bit poster

Maria,

When will Parallels know of any issues using Parallels 10 with El Capitan? When El Capitan is 'released' my macs will automatically be updated and I may instantly be without Parallels? There must be awareness of compatibility before that date. I just bought Parallels about 3 or 4 months ago. I understand the need to financially support new programming (version 11) but about 3 or 4 months use of a purchased software before it is obsolete?

9. Harvey1

Harvey1 Bit poster

I do think the support life cycle is far too short for a commercial software release.

10. GaryF1

GaryF1 Bit poster

Very short. If you purchased Parallels Desktop 10 as late as July 28, 2015 you would need to purchase version 11. So...about a 1 month life cycle.

"The conditions covering eligibility for an upgrade include:
    • Upgrade to the next version of Parallels Desktop at no additional cost if you purchase and activated Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac between July 29, 2015 and October 31, 2015."

11. jtsr43

jtsr43 Bit poster

Is it so hard to at least make certain that a product is supported for a year? You know there will be a new operating system every year. You know at about what time that operating system will be released. The least you could do is offer an update to the previous version to ensure compatibility at least once. Even Microsoft didn't end mainstream support for XP until 2 years after the release of Vista. That is not a company I would want to be compared to in terms of support.

12. GaryF1

GaryF1 Bit poster

Do the Math potential Paralells customers. If your timing is wrong (purchase close to the arbitrary obsolete date) you will be basically be paying double the stated cost for a functional program for maybe 1 year of use.