AllFiles on 'Mac' become empty when I start VS15

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ZbynekK, Aug 20, 2015.

1. ZbynekK

ZbynekK Bit poster

Since upgrade to Parallels 11, when I start Visual Studio and load my solution from Mac share, all files from the share disappear on the windows machine. I can still see the disk Z in My Computer, but when I open it, there are no files located inside. When I close VS, the files miraculously reappear. I'm using Resharper with solution analysis turned on btw.

Edit: I can confirm that this is indeed issue with Parallels 11, because after downgrading back to v10, the issue went immediately away.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  2. ForbesH

ForbesH Bit poster

Happening to me too. After much trial and error, I have found that if I keep the solution open but unload the web project in my solution, the files reappear. Soon as I reload that project, the files go again. In my case, it affects all shares from OSX. I'm wondering if it has something to do with IIS Express maybe.

3. ZbynekK

ZbynekK Bit poster

After the revert, I've noticed that while on v10, the drive Z: is mounted as local volume, in v11 it's mounted as network share. Maybe that has something to do with the issue.
    Is it possible to setup v11 to mount Z: as local drive again? Windows don't handle network drives well anyway (eg. cmd prompt does not work while in unc path)

4. ForbesH

ForbesH Bit poster

Fairly certain it works the same way in 10 as in 11 actually, but if you set it up by using the "Custom Folders" config option, it doesn't show the UNC path next to the drive letter in Explorer. Is still a network drive in either 10 and 11 though. 99% certain, happy to be proven wrong.

Doubt it's relevant but I notice that \\psf has been changed to \\mac in 11. However \\psf still works as well. Guess that indicates that they have altered how networking works in 11 to a small or large degree but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the problem we are encountering.

I'm at a loss for now so I think I better downgrade too so I can keep working! Can you tell me is downgrading simply a matter of uninstalling 11 and installing 10? Will the VM I have opened in 11 work in 10 straight up or is it more complicated than that? Thanks

5. ZbynekK

ZbynekK Bit poster

My guest machine is W7 created in 10. I simply backed it up just to be sure, uninstalled 11, installed 10, booted up the machine (didn't even have to use the backup). Parallels tools got reinstalled automatically, asked for reboot and that was it.

6. ForbesH

ForbesH Bit poster

Thanks @ZbynekK, I have downgraded to 10. I uninstalled Parallels Tools from the guest before downgrading, and reinstalled after. I can confirm that everything works fine when you downgrade.

Anyone reading this - if you're using Visual Studio I reckon consider not upgrading to 11 until they have confirmed this problem is fixed.

Spent several hours experimenting and trying to isolate the problem. OSX Yosemite, Windows 10, VS 2015 RTM, .NET 4.6.
    • removed IIS settings from the web project to no avail.
    • wondered if it might be npm, with its deeply nested packages and > 260 char length paths playing havoc with Windows, but the problem was still there after I deleted all the node modules (and even uninstalled NodeJS).
    • seemed that that removing certain items from the web project seemed to help, but not in a consistent way. Wondered if it could have something to do with the number of items in the project - but I don't think that's it either.
    • out of desperation I did stuff like removing typescript compilation, other things... dumb experiments, however the problem was weird so worth trying.
    I still think it is maybe related to IIS Express because in my case the problem certainly goes away when I unload just the web project (in a solution with 14 other projects). Then again it could be Roslyn or NodeJs or Bower or...

7. SergeyL

SergeyL Parallels Team

Hello ZbynekK,

could you please provide us with a bit more information about the issue.
    1. What is the version of Windows Virtual machine you are using (7, 8, 8.1, 10)?
    2. What are the sharing settings for that virtual machine? Is the Shared Profile On or OFF? Share Folders: All Disks? Are there any Custom shared folders configured?
    3. Is the issue reproduced as soon as you start VS2015 or only after you load a project?
    4. Can you reproduce the issue with any sample VS project or does it have to be some specific project? (I could not reproduce it with the sample C++ project on Windows 10)
    5. As soon as you reproduce the issue, please generate the Problem report using the instructions from http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and include the resulting Problem Report ID to your reply.
    Thank you.

8. ForbesH

ForbesH Bit poster

@SergeyL,
    Wondering if you read my response in this thread? Does that help?

9. SergeyL

SergeyL Parallels Team

Hello ForbesH,

Yes, I do read your responses. It could really help us to understand the root cause of the issue and elaborate a fix for it if you could provide us with the information I mentioned in my previous reply. The Problem Report generated exactly at the moment the issue is reproduced would be especially valuable for us.

Thank you.

10. ZbynekK

ZbynekK Bit poster

Hi, didn't get email for new reply, so didn't really see this until now.
    1) It's windows 7
    2)
    [​IMG]
    No custom folders. Basically the default configuration when I click next-next-next on new VM creation
    3) Only after the project starts loading
    4) I actually upgraded back to P11 just to be able to reproduce this. I can confirm that when I load another project, the files from Z: do not disappear. I was able to pinpoint the singular project that causes the issue. When I unload it from solution, the files appear immediately. When I load it again, they disappear. As mentioned above, it is a web site project that is using IIS express (ASP.NET)
    5) 73651866

11. ForbesH

ForbesH Bit poster

(I seem to have stopped getting emails from this thread too)
    @SergeyL, it's pretty disruptive to need to reinstall Parallels 11 to debug track this down. Have you been able to reproduce? Was my and @ZbynekK's info enough for you? As explained, it is certainly related to VS web site projects. I have a VS solution with a web project along with several non-web projects, but it is only the web one that needs to be unloaded in order for the problem to go away.
    Can you please let me know cause I am having to justify to my work paying for an upgrade that I cannot use, and everyone that uses Parallels at my workplace is holding of purchasing the upgrade. A few have moved to VMware.

12. Bloomk

Bloomk Junior Member

I was able to reproduce the issue with tech support and they just closed the ticket and said it's being worked on... No workaround or anything..

13. AnthonyB2

AnthonyB2 Member

Sounds like it'll be fixed soon.
    Hurray!

14. Bloomk

Bloomk Junior Member

I was able to reproduce this like clockwork by opening 2 copies of visual studio (2 separate projects at the same time)... Parallels 11 and visual studio do not seem to get along

15. Bloomk

Bloomk Junior Member

btw, the parallels ticket that i had was
    [Parallels #2162539]

16. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

17. TornikeG

TornikeG Junior Member

I am having the same problem, but it started to occur recently. I bought PD11 three weeks and it was working just fine. It started to mess up today. I haven't installed any updates today, except if Windows 10 decided to do it for me :(
    I am downgrading to 10 to see if it helps, but not sure if my PD11 license with work with it...

[EDIT]
    My PD 11 license did not work with PD10 unfortunately, so I'm left with the hope this can be fixed soon.... I wasted whole day fighting this bug. I'll just move all my project into vm.
    Please let me know if there i any diag tool I can run on my machine to help resolve this issue.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  18. vasilyz

vasilyz Parallels Developers

Guys, to resolve the problem, please run in a Terminal window the following commands (both of them):
    Code:
    launchctl setenv PRL_RLIMIT_NOFILE 1024
    sudo launchctl setenv PRL_RLIMIT_NOFILE 1024

and then restart PD. If doesn't help, try 4096 instead of 1024. Please, leave a message here whether it helps. Thank you.

JonasB1 and TornikeG like this.
  19. TornikeG

TornikeG Junior Member

Thank you vasilyz, I can verify that the above command fixed my issue. Though I did not try 1024, I tried 4096 directly.

Could you please give me more details regarding the nature of the problem and/or what/how is this env variable value is used for?

20. ZbynekK

ZbynekK Bit poster

Yup, this seems to have fixed it for me.