OpenGL 3.2+

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by OpticFroggy, Sep 8, 2013.

1. OpticFroggy

OpticFroggy Bit poster

Can anyone (customer OR staff) tell me whether 9 finally supports OpenGL 3.2+ ?
    I've been suffering for so long with 8 and the inability to work day to day with it as I program in C++ and require a Core OpenGL context.

Thanks in advance.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

3. CameronA

CameronA Junior Member

I agree. I have also been suffering with the lack of OpenGL 3.2 support. I am currently a student at university learning OpenGL 3.2 and have been wanting to do it in a virtual machine in Linux or Windows with MingGW but I have been unable to do so. Is there a timeframe on when we can expect support? Thanks.

4. PhilippeCote

PhilippeCote Bit poster

I agree OpenGL 3.2 is long overdue (it's been released 4 years ago). I use 3D CAD softwares and many features aren't available because of that. That feature alone would kill my biggest reason to use Bootcamp. :)

Bongio likes this.
  5. ksubox

ksubox Bit poster

It's already 2014. What's going on with OpenGL 3.2? "We are working..." is not an answer. When we could expect subject completed ?

Bongio likes this.
  6. 42njk42

42njk42 Bit poster

Dismayed to find out that the newly-released Parallels Desktop 10 still only supports up to OpenGL 2.1. No progress supporting newer versions of OpenGL in the last several releases :-(

7. ksubox

ksubox Bit poster

Nothing personal. Just business.... for Parallels.
    For us is a kind of signal to find other solutions or switch to another workflow.

Probably they can't implement OpenGL. And, of course, don't want to speak about.

8. RemiArnaud

RemiArnaud Bit poster

Is there any update?
    How high or low is openGL 3+ in the list of features ?
    Could you provide an ETA ?

9. prollin

prollin Bit poster

Would be nice to get an official answer here; there is obviously interest in having access to a more recent OpenGL version from a parallel guest: CAD and cross platform game development could really benefit from this.
    With all due respect, I couldn't care less about "features" like Coherence, Unity and Parallel Access and would prefer to have a way to run all my windows applications and development tools in a well isolated VM.

Bongio likes this.
  10. Newton_La_Scaleia

Newton_La_Scaleia Bit poster

Parallels developers, please I need support to OpenGL 3.3, otherwise Parallels is useless for me.

11. John_Saddison

John_Saddison Bit poster

One thing for sure, whoever breaks the OpenGL 2.1 barrier will see a mass migration to them and be rich! the three big contenders (parallels, vmware fusion and virtualbox) can't seem to break it. I had high hopes for Parallels 10. Stuck with them for that reason, there are cheaper alternatives that will fit my requirements without having to spend as much.

12. Atair

Atair Bit poster

+1 for better OpenGL support!
    without that parallels will eventually become useless for me and for sure many others..
    should be really top priority when it comes to new features

Bongio likes this.
  13. Bongio

Bongio Bit poster

I bought all releases of Parallels from 7 to 10 but I think this one will be the last one.:(
    I need OpenGL 3+ support implemented otherwise in the market there are cheaper alternatives that work great too or I'll be forced to use the free of charge Boot Camp.

14. James123

James123 Bit poster

I agree with the sentiment here. OpenGL needs to be at the top of the priority list for the Parallels team. Parallels is supposed to allow me to run Windows applications on a Mac, and the fact of the matter is that there is a large (and growing) number of applications it can't even get to start.

Bongio likes this.
  15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

No alternatives on the market, Virtualization Apps, support OpenGL 3+ currently. Bootcamp is not exactly an alternative, the reason why people want to use a virtualization App is because they want to be able to have both OSs at the same time.

16. Doubledge

Doubledge Bit poster

It's sad that a technology that is over 6 years old can not be implemented or a workaround developed. I'm so frustrated by the lack of OpenGL 3+ support.

17. rofe

rofe Bit poster

Is there any news on the OpenGL 3+ support? We program some games that should run on the Mac platform. Until now we used OpenGL 1.x and 2.x, but now I learn that Parallels and OpenGL 3.x is not possible any more. Any help appreciated.

18. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The reason is probably related to this: https://www.opengl.org/wiki/Core_And_Compatibility_in_Contexts

19. 42njk42

42njk42 Bit poster

Looks like VMWare Fusion 8 supports OpenGL 3.3! So I don't think it's an inherent limitation in the MacOS platform.

Might be time to leave Parallels for Fusion if there continues to be zero communication from Parallels team regarding when this might be supported, if ever. They've been "currently working on it" since 2013 or earlier.

http://pubs.vmware.com/Release_Notes/en/fusion/8/fusion-80-release-notes.html

20. BachirE

BachirE Bit poster

you must be kidding me!
    we just bought the license and Recap Licenses and it doesn't work!!!
    this is surely a joke!!:mad:

21. MatthieuB

MatthieuB Bit poster

+1 for OpenGL 3. We moved our applications to Core Profile. We use Parallels for checking builds on all OSX versions. But now, we just can't run the application, the CPU version of OpenGL is much too slow and thes app are almost unresponsive...