KB article: How to Add a Mac's Serial Number to the Set Hostname Task Sequence Step

Discussion in 'Parallels Mac Management for Microsoft SCCM' started by Yury Averkiev, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Yury Averkiev

Yury Averkiev Program Manager Member

Ever since with released Parallels Mac Management v4.0 with support for SCCM task sequence steps, one of the most popular questions has been: how do we include Macs' serial numbers as part of their hostnames?
    To answer this question we have have published a KB article: http://kb.parallels.com/123327

2. WilliamL4

WilliamL4 Bit poster

Thanks for posting this. I've followed the instructions to a T, but I keep getting a failure at the Installing Software step. When I look in the log file I get the following
    09-04 09:01:40.391 D /PolicyTools:166:a13/ Command '{PMM_TS_VARIABLE_UTIL}" --set OSDSerialNumber="$(system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep 'Serial Number (system)' | awk '{print $NF}')' finished with (0:127)

I'll upload the log as well.

Thanks

Attached Files:

3. WilliamL4

WilliamL4 Bit poster

After further test inside terminal during the Task Sequence selector I noticed some things.

First, I ran ${PMM_TS_VARIABLE_UTIL} to see if could find it and I got a reply of /Applications/Utilities/Paralells: No such file or directory. I decided to ls into the path and Noticed the Parallels OSD Task Sequence Wizard.app, which I presume the spaces needs to be escaped (Parallels\ OSD\ Task\ Sequence\ Wizard.app) within the PMM_TS_VARIABLE_UTIL variable.

Once I discovered this, I ls'd further in and noticed there isn't a Helpers folder within contents. Is there a different path?

Hope this helps.

4. Evgeny Smirnov

Evgeny Smirnov Parallels Developers

Looks like the command is malformed, try this one
    "$PMM_TS_VARIABLE_UTIL" --set OSDSerialNumber="$(system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep 'Serial Number (system)' | awk '{print $NF}')"

5. Evgeny Smirnov

Evgeny Smirnov Parallels Developers

WilliamL4, also you need to put step "Set Hostname" after Apply OS step, because it can run only in full OS environment for now.
    Why you want to run it before 'Apply OS'?

6. WilliamL4

WilliamL4 Bit poster

Evgeny, that command worked for me. Thanks!