Upgrading to Win10 crashes Mac completely (Parallels 11)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HenningT, Sep 21, 2015.

1. HenningT

HenningT Bit poster

Hi there,
    I want to upgrade Win8.1 to Win10 using Parallels 11. I've started the Upgrade process by running the "MediaCreationToolx64.exe" that was recommended by the Parallels popup screen. After downloading and installing the system restarted and the entire system crashed (could not move the mouse pointer). I restarted my Mac and then launched the VM again. After booting for a couple of seconds the entire system crashes again, i.e. I am not able to finish the upgrade process nor am I able to use Win8.1.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Klinge likes this.
  2. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

Did you uninstall Parallels tools before you started? The upgrade process runs more reliably when tools are uninstalled.
    Scrap the aborted install, use your backup clone VM and start the process again, only this time uninstall PT first. This worked for me.

3. Klinge

Klinge Bit poster

I have exact the same problem. Uninstalling parallels tools and updating via usb-stick (mediacreationtool) does not help.

4. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

I don't recall I mentioned updating via USB - I updated via ethernet download once I uninstalled PT - flawless install and no issues since.