Print to desktop very slow

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BillS1, Sep 8, 2015.

1. BillS1

BillS1 Bit poster

Running Parallels 10 and Windows 8.1 on OS X 10.8.5 on a 4 core iMac. When I print reports from Quickbooks to the Mac desktop it takes 7 minutes even for 1 page reports and during the whole time the machine is unusable. The happens the first print job and every one after. Any suggestions how to improve performance? I have used the suggested fix sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0x10" which seems to have made most things happen much faster, but without helping the print problem.

2. Hi @BillS1,

1. Start your Windows virtual machine -> click on Start and type in the "Search" box "cmd" -> on the top of the list please right click on the "Command prompt" and choose run as administrator (for more information please see the screenshot in the attachment)
    2. In the Command prompt window please type the following command:

sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
    3. Once the system scanning finished please provide us with the results (make a screenshot of the Command Prompt message)
    4. Close Command Prompt
    5. Click on Start -> type "msconfig" in the search field and press the Enter key.
    6. In the General tab -> Select "Selective startup"
    7. In the "System configuration" window go to "Startup" tab and uncheck all applications, except 'parallels'-word contained then click "Apply".
    8. After the previous step, open the "Services" tab and enable the option "Hide all Microsoft services" -> and then disable all the non-microsoft services, except 'parallels'-word contained.
    9. Click on "Apply" and "OK" -> restart your virtual machine and check the issue.

3. BillS1

BillS1 Bit poster

Printing much faster now and no longer makes the machine unusable. Thanks.

4. Glad to know! Please inform us if you need any help.

5. BillS1

BillS1 Bit poster

The problem occured again. I found if I limit the number of cpu's to 2 rather than all 4, printing is fast, everything is fast.

6. Hi, thanks for the additional information, about the CPU number. Is it working OK now?

7. BillS1

BillS1 Bit poster

I do not use Parallels and Quickbooks on a daily basis, but the last time after setting it down to 2 cpu, everything was great.

8. Ok, thanks a lot for this information.