Parallels 11 - Slow performance with Yosemite guest?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by FuzzyReets, Aug 23, 2015.

1. FuzzyReets

FuzzyReets Junior Member

HI guys. I downloaded the trial to see if it's worth upgrading and I found the Yosemite guest to be far to slow to consider acceptable. Anyone else find this too? Running it on a 2015 MBP / i5/8GB RAM.

2. Helge Becker

Helge Becker Bit poster

Yes, it is not useable. I am regretting buying the version, as I didn't expect this. Had to move completely to Fusion for the projects that require 10.10 dev tools.

3. FuzzyReets

FuzzyReets Junior Member

Okay glad it's not just me and also glad I did a trial instead of upgrading immediately like usual. Definitely looking into Fusion now. This is ridiculous.

4. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Same issue here.

Windows 7 and Windows 10 VMs run perfectly smooth and with extremely good performance, whilst a Yosemite 10.10.5 VM is very slow and unstable. Opening the Launchpad one can watch the screen to be displayed by blocks of lines. When now opening a folder in the Launchpad you can almost drink a cup of coffee before the folder is displayed.

I have a Macbook Pro mid 12 with i7, 16GB RAM and an OWC 1TB SSD running OS X 10.10.5. The VM is also running Yosemite 10.10.5 and I reserved 8GB RAM and 128MB for the Graphics. It should run lighting fast!

I have no USB devices connected, so there can't be any conflicts here.

Guess I have to change to VMWare Fusion (which I luckily have a license for already).

5. FuzzyReets

FuzzyReets Junior Member

Fusion has ti's own issues as well. I'm just sticking with Parallel's 10. Parallels 11 offers nothing in terms of experience and certainly not performance enhancements of any kind. The only reason to upgrade would be to use coherence because they decided to force us to upgrade to 11 to make that work with Windows 10. That's not enough for me to upgrade.

6. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Well, Fusion was until recently my choice as it is pretty stable and fast. The reason I changed once again to Parallels is because of Windows 10 support.

I just installed a OS X Yosemite VM in Fusion and besides it being pretty bad performing too, it is still faster and definitely more stable than Parallels. Whilst my OS X Parallels VM is crashing with every second move, I haven't crashed the Fusion OS X VM.

Having said this, because of the bad performance both are unusable right now.

7. JC1

JC1 Bit poster

Same results here. It's barely at the useable level. Screen response is a sluggish at best, and it seems to have slowed down my entire system. Considering I can run Windows 10, Ubuntu, and two other VM's not OSX at the same time, the issue has to be in the version 11 software. Please support, at least acknowledge there is an issue and you are working on it.

8. Guys, in order to continue investigation we need a bit more tech information. In this case could you please generate the problem report using this KB right after reproducing the issue and reply us back with the 8-digit report ID.

9. JC1

JC1 Bit poster

Thanks! Report ID is 75708063

10. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Just had a remote view support session. After checking that all configuration is correct, I received the following mail...

Thank you for contacting Parallels support.
    As per our conversation, I understand that your Mac OS X Virtual Machine is performing slow.
    We followed the steps given in the article given below to improve the performance :
    http://kb.parallels.com/112091
    Mac OS Virtual Machine will work in the same way as Host OS X in Safe mode.
    Please refer the link given below to know what is safe mode :
    https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201262
    Let us know if you have any queries.
    We appreciate your time and consideration.

Well, all what the link explains is how OS X behaves in safe mode. Of course we know...it behaves sluggish. Fully expected though.
    Question is, WHY IS AN OS X VIRTUAL MACHINE RUNNING IN (QUASI) SAFE MODE

11. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Here is the latest answer from Parallels Support...

This is one of the limitation of Parallels Desktop that Mac OS Virtual Machine will work in the same way as Host OS X in Safe mode.
    Let us know if you have any queries.
    We appreciate your time and consideration.
    Customer Support
    || Parallels

So basically we can forget running OS X as a VM. Interesting is that VMware seems to have the same limitation, as I get the same sluggish performance with it running a OS X VM.

12. mwille64

mwille64 Member

@Maria@Parallels

Maybe you could provide some more technical explanation as to why there is this limitation and whether we can expect a solution in future or if this is a permanent limitation?

Thanks in advance

13. MichaelS9

MichaelS9 Bit poster

I have the same issue. The support person from Parallels keeps showing me KB articles to fix Windows.
    My guest is OS X Yosemite. My host is OS X El Capitan. I need Yosemite to do work for a client.
    The screen rendering is awfully slow. In full screen mode on my iMac in 5K resolution, it takes literally several minutes to render the login screen in the guest. It is similarly too slow for real use on my MacBook Pro 15" running at native 2880x1800 resolution as well.
    I've seen OS X guest on OS X host run fast in previous versions of Parallels.
    If I could rate this on the apple store, it would be zero stars from me.

14. PatrickHartling

PatrickHartling Bit poster

I am seeing exactly the same problems as @Michael59 on a 5K iMac that runs El Capitan. I tried every KB article tip that has been referenced for this and other slow VM issues, but none of it has made the slightest difference. I increased the video memory for the Yosemite guest to 512 MB, and that helped a little. By comparison, I have a Mavericks VM with just 32 MB of video memory, and it runs like a champ (and has since the day I created it over a year ago). I have other guest operating systems (Ubuntu, Windows 7 & 10) that work without any issue whatsoever.

I have been using Parallels Desktop for a long, long time, and this is the first time I have ever seen something like this. It makes me think I did something wrong in creating the VM simply because this software has never let me down before.

15. MichaelS9

MichaelS9 Bit poster

The more graphics memory I assign, the slower the VM performs for me.

16. MichaelS9

MichaelS9 Bit poster

The support guys want me to allow them to remote control my computer. Sorry, that can't happen.

They really should get their own 5K iMac and debug their own software on it. I even sent the guy instructions on how to get the display into 5K native display mode (alt click on "Scaled" text in display system preferences)

Like PatrickHartling above, I've been a long time Parallels user. I don't think either of us are somehow setting up VMs wrong.