El Capitan, Parallels 10, and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mastercraft, Oct 1, 2015.

1. mastercraft

mastercraft Junior Member

I am currently running OS X 10.10.5 and a Windows 10 VM via Parallels 10 on my Retina Macbook. Everything is working fine right now but I'd like to upgrade to OS X 10.11 on this machine. I've seen the emails and notes from Parallels that Parallels 10 is not optimized for El Capitan and Windows 10, etc. Based on what I've read, I don't have the urge to upgrade to Parallels 11 but I will if I have to. Before I upgrade to El Capitan, I wanted to check to see if others have upgraded to OS X 10.11 (public release version) while using Parallels 10 and what the experience has been. Thank you.

2. mastercraft

One additional question. If I decide to upgrade to Parallels 11, should I install Parallels 11 before I upgrade to OS X El Capitan or should I upgrade to El Capitan and then install Parallels 11?

3. martmeister

martmeister Member

+1
    Great questions. I have exactly the same ones. I hadn't thought that we may need to install the one before the other.

4. mastercraft

5. mastercraft

I went ahead and upgraded to El Cap and did not upgrade to Parallels 11. Everything seems to be working fine so far.

6. martmeister

martmeister Member

That's pretty ballsy! Would love to hear how everything progresses with that. I am not a hardcore gamer or doing major development on my Windows 10 VM so ideally a fairly straightforward Windows 10 configuration is compatible.
    I have been digging around for a while looking for solid answers. Other folks either haven't received any responses or were pointed here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122662
    Essentially our configuration is not supported. That doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work though. Something you are clearly aware of.
    This would be my 4 or 5th year upgrading now. It's getting a little costly in my opinion to do this required $49 upgrade every year. It would be nice to skip a year for a change.
    Thanks for your updates!

7. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

I too am fed up with the constant need to upgrade this type of software. Acronis are another company (appears to have some connection with Parallels) which nag you to upgrade claiming ATI 2014 won't work with Windows 10 - it does. If I do upgrade to El Cap when the bugs have been sorted I will stick with PD10.

8. martmeister

martmeister Member

How's everything going? Still working?

9. mastercraft

No issues so far. Everything is working well.