CDs don't mount in 3.0 build 4560

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by waldo647, Aug 13, 2007.

1. waldo647

waldo647 Junior Member

For some reason, CDs are not mounting in build 4560. Didn't see this on previous builds.

I've selected default CD/DVD-ROM and tried ID 0:1 (default) and 1:1.

Any thoughts?

One possible clue: I had to install the Parallels Tools manually, by copying the image contents to an H drive, i.e. it wouldn't connect to the VMTools image.

I think I have gotten some CDs to work, but now they don't.

TIA,
    - Chris

2. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

Please try to remove the virtual CD/DVD drive and add it again via Edit - Virtual Machine menu. Please insert a CD disk into the MAC drive, and open My Computer. Can you see your disk there?

Best regards,
    John

3. waldo647

waldo647 Junior Member

Hi John,

Tried this and it didn't help. One of my Win colleagues noticed in the Device Manager that under DVD/CD-ROM drives, there is a problem with the MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J (yellow exclamation point badge). When I open that it says: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (Code 39). Clicking the Troubleshoot brings up a blank help screen. Searching there doesn't yield anything. Trying to update the driver says it can't find the driver (no attempt to go to the Microsoft website, maybe it's not there either).

I'm also noticing that my mapped drives don't always come up. I'll try some more testing with restarts of the Mac. Maybe something else is going on here. I'll also try not logging onto the Win domain, and report back.

Thanks,
    - Chris

4. waldo647

waldo647 Junior Member

Hi John,

I've tried logging onto the local machine (i.e. not the Win domain), and removing Windows Desktop Search (which I've only used rarely) - but the Device Manager still says there is a problem with the Matshita DVD-R UJ-85J. This is the actual hard drive in my Intel iMac. I can't find this driver anywhere to reinstall it. There is an option to Uninstall or Disable the Matshita drive through the Device Manager. Should I try this?

Thanks,
    - Chris

5. waldo647

waldo647 Junior Member

PS. I went back to a previous snapshoot and noticed that Device Manager was listing PRL Virtual CD-ROM, instead of Matshita DVD-R UJ-85J. That looked hopeful, but alas didn't work, and after removing & replacing (with Quits of Parallels in-between), the Matshita driver returned. The PRL driver had the yellow exclamation point badge, like Matshita does each time. This makes me wonder if Parallels is somehow getting the wrong driver? But how to fix it? This hasn't happened in previous builds of Parallels. I only run the released ones. Thanks...

6. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

You can see the full CD drives configuration of my system (image attached). I have 2 virtual CD drives, one of them is matshita, and the other one is PRL virtual drive. And they all are working fine. Please check the CD drivers. Please reinstall Parallels Tools. Try to remove all CD drives from the system and add them again,

Best regards,
    John

Attached Files:

7. waldo647

waldo647 Junior Member

Hi John,

No luck. Note: I have to install the Parallels Tools via a server H drive, since vmtools.iso can't be read (selecting the normal Install Parallels Tools will never complete). Reinstalled using both exe files in vmtools.iso. Created two drives just like yours. Both now have yellow exclamation point badges. When I try to update the drivers, the wizard says it can't find a better match for my hardware, i.e. can't find the drivers. Is there another way to update these drivers? Maybe this was a bad update on v3.0 originally?

Thanks,
    - Chris

8. wldojnr

wldojnr Bit poster

Hey Waldo,

waldojnr here, wishing you luck but unfortunately with no advice as to how to solve your problem. I will keep following the thread, however.

Best of luck,

waldojnr

9. Fairbanks

Fairbanks Bit poster

I just wanted to chime and and state that I have had the exact same problem after upgrading Parallels. I have tried removing the CD driver in windows several times, searching windows for a driver (which I can't find), and removing the device from Parallels all with no luck. I am currently running the old version of Parallel tools, but can't install the new version since virtual drives won't mount properly.

Is there a driver file for the PRL Virtual CD or that Matsushita drive?

10. Fairbanks

Fairbanks Bit poster

UPDATE: I was able to resolve this problem

I followed along in this thread:

http://forums.parallels.com/thread15769.html

in an effort to get this to work properly. What did the trick for me was following the steps on the following Microsoft KB posting about deleting the UpperFilter and LowerFilter registry entries for the CD-ROM. After doing that, I was able to mount up the Parallels Tools ISO and get PT working again!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Good luck.

11. bayguy13

bayguy13 Bit poster

After trying everything, this worked for me. Thanks for the info.