There is no application set to open the document

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JuiceD, Sep 28, 2015.

1. JuiceD

JuiceD Member

When I have the "Show Windows applications folder in Dock" turned on and I click on a windows application, it brings up the OSX window "There is no application set to open the document"

This has happened after I upgraded to 10.11, I've just reinstalled 10.11 fresh and reloaded the existing virtual machine on there and have the same results.

Any one else got this issue?

2. AndrewL1

AndrewL1 Bit poster

Yes, same problem here :(

3. MichaelN5

MichaelN5 Bit poster

Same problem after upgrading OS X 10.11 El Capitan.
    Surprising after reading all the Parallels material that says it is El Capitan ready.

4. Hi guys, did you reinstall Parallels Tools?

5. RudolfJ

RudolfJ Bit poster

Hi, yes I reinstalled Parallels Tools - no effect, still the same problem.

6. PaulN4

PaulN4 Bit poster

I completely un-installed Parallels Tools then re-installed. Still not working.
    I disabled app sharing and re-enabled app sharing, still not working.

7. PilC

PilC Bit poster

I have the same problem.
    *OS X El Capitan
    *Parallels Desktop 11.0.1 (after reinstall Parallels Tools, still the same problem, too.)

8. PaulN4

PaulN4 Bit poster

The issue is only when launching apps thru the docked "Windows Applications folder".
    Apps launched from "VM Machine docked" thru windows start page launch fine.

9. PatH1

PatH1 Bit poster

Adding a "me too" to this thread. Yesterday I upgraded from Yosemite to El Cap. I am using Parallels 10 and have a Win 8.1 VM that I use Parallels for. After the reboot to complete the El Cap install, the "There is no application set to open the document 'software xyz'." shows. Selecting the option to Choose Application and choosing Parallels allows the Windows VM software to open and run correctly. Have reinstalled the Tools with no resolution to the problem.

10. NickO3

NickO3 Bit poster

Same here... upgraded to OSX 10.11 and am having the same issue opening Windows apps that everyone else is experiencing. I'm also noticing that when I do open Windows apps, there's a weird semi-transparent halo effect that happens (when running in coherence mode). Anyone else noticing this? Has anyone received a response back from support regarding these issues?

Attached Files:

11. DawnM1

DawnM1 Bit poster

Having the same issue: OS X El Capitan. Had Parallels 10, but issue remains after upgrading to Parallels 11.0.1. I have reinstalled Parallels Tools and Parallels. No luck.

12. MichaelN5

MichaelN5 Bit poster

Just noticed that after upgrade the default 'Open with' is 'Parallels Link' which gives the error when you try to launch.
    If you change 'Opens with' to 'Parallels Desktop' it seems to work fine.
    Looks like you have to change each file one-by-one.

13. yobyot

yobyot Bit poster

Yup, El.C and latest Parallels -- which for the upgrade price was supposed to be "ready" for El.C.
    Wonder how long we'll be waiting for the fix for this.
    I wouldn't mind paying for yearly upgrades if it meant that we'd be able to stay current with Apple's OS roadmap.
    But as usual, each year's upgrade is a mess until just shortly before it's time to pay again for next year's mess.

14. MichaelN5

MichaelN5 Bit poster

It may possibly be an issue with the default application setting. Not sure what caused the problem, Parallels or El Capitan or both.
    Try rebuilding the LaunchServices database. I am not sure how to do this or what the implications are so please research this solution before doing anything.

15. MichaelN5

MichaelN5 Bit poster

Message for the Moderator.
    If you are going to moderate messages for no good reason and take excessive time to release the post then I don't think I will bother posting anymore.

This is not within the spirit of an Open message forum whereby we the users are trying to help solve your problems.

16. SIMONT1

SIMONT1 Bit poster

Yes, exact same problem here after installing EI.C

17. MichaelN5

MichaelN5 Bit poster

Also getting the semi-transparent halo effect.

18. MichaelN5

MichaelN5 Bit poster

Rebuilding LaunchServices Database fixes the problem.

Here is a good article on using lsregister to manage the LaunchServices database.
    http://krypted.com/mac-security/lsregister-associating-file-types-in-mac-os-x/

19. MichaelN5

MichaelN5 Bit poster

20. Ketan

Ketan Bit poster

Folks, I had the same issue with El Capitan and Parallels 11. Click the Windows dock logo and click "Open in Finder". Choose one of the links in the folder and change the app to Parallels instead of Parallels Link. Select the option to apply this change to all such files. Once done, all coherence dock icons start working fine.

NickO3 likes this.