Parallels 11: Rushed to Market?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Sedagive, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Sedagive

Sedagive Bit poster

Man, am I ever sorry I upgraded to Parallels 11/Win 10. It's a barely usable environment. Here are some of the problems I am encountering:
    1. Freeze on suspend, restart, shut down, etc. Endless spinner, have to quit/force-quit *every time*.
    2. Quit on freeze, or force-quit, causes the VM to error out on startup with a "VM is already in use" series of messages. Requires another restart or, in one instance, copy of VM to another disk and back.
    3. Constantly loses network connection. Shared network, specific adapter (e.g. Display Adapter 2, etc.), doesn't matter. May be related to the fact that this is a laptop that I use at home and work. What a concept, why plan for that?
    4. Start menu stopped working. Clicking on it does nothing. Don't know if this is a Windows problem or Windows/Parallels. None of the fixes listed online for Windows work on Parallels. Restart doesn't fix it either.
    So, my question is, was this product rushed to market? I have never seen a Parallels release so buggy.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

If that was the experience everyone or even just quite a large number of people were having then these forums would filed with posts like yours, certainly not my experience.
    So, to answer your question, no, I don't think so.

3. JaimeG1

JaimeG1 Bit poster

I have the same issues, I just recently upgraded to P11 to allow me to upgrade my Win 7 to Win10. But when i started getting what you mention in the first to points you mention above. I initially thought it was a Windows 10 problem. So I reverted back to Windows 7.
    To my disappointment, the problem is still here... :(

4. JimmyC1

JimmyC1 Bit poster

I completely agree, Parallels 11 was delivered with so many bugs and compromises. Parallels 11 with Windows 10 is so unstable and not so well integrated as promise than Parallels 10 with Win8. I hope you don't rely on a forum to see if your product his good and stable.

I shouldn't buy an upgrade and I can't suggest someone to buy it.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The problem with this reasoning is the underlying assumption that if you have a problem then everyone else also does, I use Windows 10 with Parallels 11 and I don't have those issues.

So the result is that instead of trying to find what is the cause of your particular problem and fixing it, which might benefit some other users, this assumption of something being generally wrong does not benefit anybody.

The key to solving a software problem is being able to reproduce it in a lab environment.

6. sduensin

sduensin Bit poster

I completely agree. Shutdown spins of death are more common than actual VM shutdowns. Windows 10 performance, no matter what I try, is unusable. I've been extremely happy with Parallels since v6. This latest release almost has me looking for a new virtualizer.

7. RaymondS1

RaymondS1 Bit poster

Me too! So Frustrating, all the solutions given assume you can actually get to window that you can add a new user. I use to brag about parallels to my PC users now I'm about ready to give up and go the bootcamp route. Parallels really blew it this time. I have not been able use windows for two months now hoping they were going to fix it. What a joke.

8. GeoffT1

GeoffT1 Bit poster

And I thought it was just me too. I run two vms Win 10/32 and win10/64. 32 bit works just fine but have been unable to start 64 bit for three days now. It just hangs on start, no excess cpu or disc usage, it just hangs. Cannot shutdown either just goes into suspend, shutting down macbook doesn't clear the problem 64 bit shows the little moon icon when I open parallels. I'm no expert, so keep it simple please.

9. dnlgyju

dnlgyju Bit poster

Same issues. Yet it is May 2016. Parallels 10 used to work very well for me. Maybe it's the new Windows. I don't know. I usually have to go and select 'Action > Stop' and restart at least 1 out of 3 times I boot Parallels for Windows 10. I mean, in the beginning it was fine, for about 6 months. Now I have restart quite often. Freezes at random quite often too. What's going on? I'm really considering going back to full Boot Camp. Or maybe give up Mac altogether. For now I'm going to try and reinstall Parallels and Windows.