Installing Windows 10 from MSDN multiple version DVD...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KenD2, Oct 6, 2015.

1. KenD2

KenD2 Bit poster

All,
    I am a software developer and have a DVD that contains multiple versions of Windows 10. I have both the Pro version and the Home edition version on one DVD.
    Parallels, it seems, defaults to the Home version and gives me no choice when loading the OS. I need to be able to choose which version of Windows 10 to install. How do I do that?

2. Hi, you can create an .iso file using this article for example and then check the issue.

3. KenD2

KenD2 Bit poster

Thanks. I actually have the ISO from MSDN. I tried making the DVD which worked. I tried using the ISO file itself before burning to DVD. it did the same thing - defaulted to Windows 10 Home and not allowing me to choose which operating system I wanted.

My challenge is to get the DVD/ISO to prompt me for which OS to install. Parallels used to allow me to do this, but somehow something has changed, or I am missing something.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, I'm not sure whether your VM is using conventional bios or EFI bios (I'd want to see a problem report from VM)
    But if it is using EFI, try to enter system-flag vm.bios.efi.cd_use_noprompt=0 - this can help
    this can be done in the Virtual Machine --> Configure --> Hardware --> Boot Order; Advanced Setting, Boot Flags area

5. KenD2

KenD2 Bit poster

Hi, Eric,
    I am using Parallels 11. My configuration menu path does not look like what you posted. I can go...
    Virtual Machine --> Configure --> Hardware --> Hard Disk 1 or CD/DVD 1
    But there is no Boot Order or Boot flags advanced settings that I can find with the options you mention.

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

There should be, there is a slidebar. Yes, it is hard to notice it - I had missed it too at the first look. The item "Boot Order" as near the top, under the "CPU & Memory"

7. KenD2

KenD2 Bit poster

I just got the problem solved. It was not a Parallels problem. Thanks for the help.

8. ShahzadJ

ShahzadJ Bit poster

Hi KenD2, I am having a same issue and going crazy. Can you please advise how you solve this issue.
    Thanks,