Bootcamp question...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by StarShot, Oct 7, 2015.

1. StarShot

StarShot Member

Does anyone know if Bootcamp recognizes an existing Windows 10 installation mated with Parallels 11? Since Parallels 11/ Windows 10 won't load, I'm thinking of "leaving the building" if Parallels can't fix this problem. There are several posts with others having the same problem.

2. Konstantin@Parallels

Konstantin@Parallels Junior Member

Hello StarShot.
    There're some cases when Windows 10 BootCamp installation cannot start under Parallels Desktop 10 (in El Capitan). However, the rootless feature (El Capitan introduction) can be disabled. Please refer to this article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/123072
    In case I've misread your post, please provide me with some more details.

Cheers,

Konstantin

3. StarShot

StarShot Member

Konstantin
    I'm a long time Parallels user, going back to around '08 with Parallels 4 or 5. Up to now, I've never had a complaint about it that was no resolved in a short matter of time.

Around June or July of this year, I got a chance to try the Beta El Capitan version, which I used with my existing version of Par10/Win7. Worked great for maybe 6 weeks or more or until shortly after installing Win10. I'm guessing maybe a month with Win10.

It now loads up until the Win10 logo appears in the center of the screen with the new "circling" dots. After a few second, the screen would freeze and the only way out of it was to shut the computer down (MBA) and reboot.

I figured I had some conflict between Beta El Capitan/Parallels 10/Windows10. So I didn't use the program until the full retain edition of El Capitan came out. When it did, I installed it, only to find the same problem existed (freezing). Then, the "pitch" came up, touting the new Par 11, which I installed, only to see the SAME problem. I've tried deleting Par11 and reinstalling, but that doesn't correct the problem. I was thinking of going back to Par 10, but I can't find my installation disk (and the problem existed there as well).

Based on my previous history with Parallels always working, I downloaded the paid edition of Par 11 ($50). If I had known that it might not work, I would have definitely tried the free trial version instead. If I can't fix this problem shortly, I'm going to abandon Parallels and go the BootCamp route which I have on another computer that runs Windows 99% of the time. On my MBA, I use or did use Parallels to switch back and forth several times a day. I HATE the BootCamp route that requires a reboot when switching.

Since the problem first surfaced using Beta El Capitan, I would suspect Parallels 10 or 11 doesn't work well with the combination and the fact that Parallels did work VERY will with Win 7 seems to add to that theory. It also seemed to work fine with Beta El Capitan/Win10 until it started freezing on rebooting.

I'm not much for trouble shooting and don't have a clue as to whether I could go back to Yosemite or Win7. Re Parallels 11, I thought about deleting and reinstalling it, but I'm not sure I can remove it entirely. My method is to go into Applications, and drag Parallels to the waste basket and then reinstalling it. Does that remove ALL of the previous Parallels installation?

And if I have to abandon Parallels 11, how do I get my refund of the $50? There seems to be several others on this forum with the same or slight different complaints about Parallels with Windows 10.

4. Konstantin@Parallels

Konstantin@Parallels Junior Member

Hi StarShot.
    So as far as I understood, you're not facing any type of issues right after the start of BootCamp virtual machine.
    Therefore the issue with freezing might be happening due to the Microsoft account misconfiguration.
    Please refer to the following article and create two test accounts while in Boot Camp.
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/123375.
    Do you have automatic logon enabled?
    I suggest to investigate this issue deeper, however it probably will require for you to contact us to schedule a remote session.
    Answering your other questions:
    1) Yes, you can reinstall or downgrade to the previous version of Parallels Desktop by simply launching a new installation package.
    The installation will replace all necessary files automatically.
    You can always obtain the latest build via those links:
    Parallels Desktop 11 - http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11
    Parallels Desktop 10-http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd10
    Parallels Desktop 9 -http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd9
    2) Refund shouldn't be a problem, but we've got to check the issue first.
    In any case, should you require further assistance, please send me an PM and I will create a ticket for you.
    Cheers,

Konstantin

5. StarShot

StarShot Member

Konstantin

As per my previous post, I did correct and gain access to Windows 10 via the Par10 download in the post above. I didn't want to screw with a working setup so I delayed do the reinstall of Par 11 from the same post above. A few minutes ago I got up the nerve to try it and it work fine also. When I first got the problem of Par 10 and Par 11 freezing on boot up, I think it was either caused by a faulty El Capitan or Windows 10 installation that may have been corrected by an update to El Capitan.

Anyway, I would probably be in the same hole without your post above for the latest builds.

Thanks again...