Parallels 11 does NOT load...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by StarShot, Oct 4, 2015.

1. StarShot

StarShot Member

I was running the beta El Capitan v10.11.1 with Parallels/Windows10 and it worked fine until there was an update to the beta El Capitan. Suddenly, it would get to (I think) the 2nd screen with the new Windows 10 logo. The load gauge (circling dots) would stop after a few seconds and then lock up. I was hoping the final edition of El Capitan would fix this problem but after installing it today, the Parallels screen froze at the same place. I wasn't going to upgrade to Parallels 11 since 10 worked fine UNTIL it didn't. I couldn't find my installation Par10 disk so I decided to go for Par11. I SHOULD have tried the free tryout, but didn't want to mess around so I blew $50 on the Par11 upgrade.

After installing it, the screen locks up at the same place. I deleted the Par10 program, reinstalled Par11 with the same problem. I WANT my Parallels but may have to move on to either one of the other similar programs or even BOOTCAMP. I like the ability to switch back and forth quickly rather than doing the BOOTCAMP reboot to switch.

Any ideas as to what I should do now???

2. MatthewB5

MatthewB5 Bit poster

I think it is just a REALLY BAD UPDATE version. I updated to version 11 but it will not open the virtual machine because I have no disk space... In reality, I have over 300GB of disk space which is more than enough and it will not let me change anything in configuration. I am going to have to abandon this program as well...

3. StarShot

StarShot Member

I would have to respectively disagree with your theory. My problem in case I wasn't clear, started with Par10 (latest version) and Windows 10. When Win10 came out, Par10 worked fine with it for maybe 1-2 months. I'm not a heavy user so I wasn't going into Par10/Win10 everyday.

Anyway, every time I logged in with Par10/Win10, I got the promo about Par11. My theory is if it "ain't broke, don't screw with it". Then, SUDDENLY after an update to El Capitan (yes, I was doing the beta), Win10 started to "hang" when booting and the only way I could get out of it was to shut down my MBA and reboot it. So, after several further tries, I decided to spend $50 and get Par11, thinking this would be a sure fix. However, the same hang up. Based on this, I don't see how it can be a bad update version. I did download it twice.

My theory now is leaning toward Win10 as the bad guy in this mess. Meanwhile, I'm out my $50. I wish I had downloaded the free 30 day tryout. Since I'm not WILD about Win10, I'm thinking of going back to Win7 although at this moment, I don't know how to proceed.

4. MarieC

MarieC Junior Member

Though Win10 is brand new OS (often buggy), El Capitan is certainly not perfect either and from what I've read on Internet, Apple provided some changes between last beta and released version. As Parallels always wants to look ready for next OS even before Apple and MS had the time to think about it :rolleyes:, it probably trigger additional problems.
    Win10 in PD11 under Yosemite works pretty well. So if Win10 has its part of responsability, I don't think this is the bad guy there ;).

Users are also "guilty", if only they din't install 2 brand new OS and 1 soft all together at the same time... they will not report bugs for those who wisely wait for more stable versions ;).

5. StarShot

StarShot Member

Hey Paulchris @parallels
    As per the thread starter here, do you have any suggestions as to how I can regain access to Win10 through Par11?

6. StarShot

StarShot Member

ANY ideas? I'm waiting and still can't get into my Win10 because of the lockup when loading.

7. Konstantin@Parallels

Konstantin@Parallels Junior Member

StarShot
    I've answered in your thread, if it's not a trouble please continue there, it will help to avoid flood here,
    Cheers.

8. StarShot

StarShot Member

Konstantin
    Re the note below...

I've modified the links with (***) since I assume this is a public post...

I tried to install Par9 and it wouldn't complete for some reason (didn't want to got that far back in time anyway)
    I then installed (rolled back) Par10 and it fixed the problem for some strange reason. Since it works, I'm happy to continue with it. Would like to actually install Par11, but hate to mess with it today since I have a working system now. My order form for Par11 says I can download it until 11/03/15. If I were to download it again, but wait until after 11/03/15), would it still install? I may give it a shot in a few days, but my dear old dad told me "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it).
    Thanks for getting my Parallels back even though right now I'm using Par10.

Chuck

Hi StarShot.
    So as far as I understood, you're not facing any type of issues right after the start of BootCamp virtual machine.
    Therefore the issue with freezing might be happening due to the Microsoft account misconfiguration.
    Please refer to the following article and create two test accounts while in Boot Camp.
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/123375.
    Do you have automatic logon enabled?
    I suggest to investigate this issue deeper, however it probably will require for you to contact us to schedule a remote session.
    Answering your other questions:
    1) Yes, you can reinstall or downgrade to the previous version of Parallels Desktop by simply launching a new installation package.
    The installation will replace all necessary files automatically.
    You can always obtain the latest build via those links:
    Parallels Desktop 11 - http://www.parallels.com/***
    Parallels Desktop 10-http://www.parallels.com/***
    Parallels Desktop 9 -http://www.parallels.com/***
    Refund shouldn't be a problem, but we've got to check the issue first.
    In any case, should you require further assistance, please send me an PM and I will create a ticket for you.
    Cheers,

Konstantin

9. Konstantin@Parallels

Hi Chuck,
    Glad to hear you got your system up and running again.
    I believe in your case the issue might have happened due to errors in the process of creating/recreating Boot Camp based virtual machine after the first update. (always hard to tell without seeing log files)
    Quite a lot of issues with Boot Camp partitions under Parallels Desktop aren't directly related to the Parallels Desktop itself, even if it may seems to be so.
    If you don't see any errors right after the start of your Boot Camp virtual machine, that in vast majority of the cases means that Boot Camp partitions were correctly recognized by the Parallels Desktop virtualization environment.
    If the error occurs later, especially if it's one of Microsoft errors (you can see Windows error code, etc), that would mean that the root lays in the way Windows addresses particular virtual machine. It might be useful to recreate the virtual machine in those cases or perform an update of Parallels Desktop. You can simply do that in your Parallels Desktop Control Center.
    Once again, those recommendations are rather general and basic, each case might be somewhat different.

P.S.
    Those links are public, please use them at your convenience.
    Sometimes it's useful to get the latest build of Parallels via one of them:
    www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11 or www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd10 (just change last digits to the version of Parallels Desktop you'd like to get)

Let me know if I can be any more help)

Cheers,
    Konstantin

10. StarShot

StarShot Member

I do have a question about registration using the links to Parallels 10 or 11. I had the paid versions of 10 AND 11. Since at the moment, I'm back to Par10, does it automatically "tag" into my registration key? I think my original Parallels 10 was wiped out with my upgrade to Parallels 11. I still have the key to 11, but I can't find my Par 10 installation disk which had the registration key.

I'm mainly wonder if my present Par10 will drop dead after 30 days since it was a new installation of the version of Par 10 that got wiped by Par 11.

11. Konstantin@Parallels

2 StartShot.

Of course mate, all your licensing will be pulled up automatically, no worries)
    Basically, the license information file is stored on your Mac and it isn't changed anyhow when reinstalling or updating/downgrading to the versions you have already bought before.

Hope that helps.