Searching with Spotlight in Google Drive under Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by K__1, Oct 10, 2015.

1. K__1

K__1 Bit poster

Hi all, I wonder if anyone could tell me if the following behaviour is a bug or a feature.

Context: I've installed Windows 10 on Parallels 11 running on OS X El Capitan on a 2015 MacBook Pro. Everything is up to date. In Parallels, two-way sharing is on, i.e. everything that can be shared from Win to Mac is enabled, and the other way around too. I use Google Drive on OS X for syncing one Google account and I'm using Google Drive on Windows to sync another Google account. The Windows instance of Google Drive is the problem here.

Problem: I want to search for a file that sits in the Google Drive folder in Windows. Using Windows' native search box in Parallels, I'm able to find that file. If I search for the same file in Spotlight on OS X, I'm unable to find that file. Spotlight only finds Windows apps.

What I've tried so far: I played around with sharing settings in Parallels and searching/indexing settings in Windows but that didn't help. Search within Windows works fine, so I guess it's an issue with Parallels or Spotlight that it cannot search through the mounted VM. Is there a workaround for that?

2. K__1

K__1 Bit poster

Just wanted to update y'all that I didn't find a solution for this and stopped looking for it once I've found Insynchq today, which I recommend to everyone with a problem similar to mine.