Windows 10 Bootcamp VM can't validate!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by imacken, Jul 29, 2015.

1. EnverH

EnverH Bit poster

Stop! Do NOT create ANOTHER VM on the Mac.
    Use the very same VM that boots the BootCamp partiton.
    For it, create a new Virtual Hard Disk. Install Win8.1 there and upgrade, activating the VM on the way.
    To finish, switch the VM back to use the BootCamp partition instead of the Virtual Hard Disk.
    Verify the VM is activated. Then delete the Virtual Hard Disk if desired. Was only needed for activation.

Explanation:
    The VM is the computer, so don't change VMs.
    Changing (only) the HDD in a computer does not de-activate Windows.

moonbeam and GrangerFX like this.
  2. BrianNydish

BrianNydish Member

Hello Parallels Team,.......Any updates here? Thanks.

3. GrangerFX

GrangerFX Junior Member

This worked for me. I used a version of Windows 7 to upgrade to Windows 10 in the VM and then switched disks to the Boot Camp partition and all was well with the activation. I have not tried booting into Boot Camp yet but I don't imagine there will be any problems there since it was fully activated on that "computer". I am pretty grumpy about all the hoops Microsoft made me jump through for this "free" OS upgrade and even more grumpy about the total failure of Parallels to support its customers for a feature they advertise.

4. KenV

KenV Bit poster

I have the same general problem - I am activated in the VM but in Bootcamp it shows that another machine is already using that key. I am tempted to call Microsoft with one of my other Win7 or Win8 product keys and ask for another Windows 10 key, but I fear this won't work, because I am assuming that the key is stored in the registry somewhere and there is only one key per machine and it would be looking in the same place and have the same problem, just reversed.

Anyone try this approach?

The only way I see this resolving is that either Microsoft changes it's key activation policies to detect our particular situation with a VM and Bootcamp or Parallels finds a way of making the hardware appear similar enough between bootcamp and the vm so that Microsoft sees them as the same machine. My hopes that either of these things will happen anytime soon is very small.

Anyone know if the VM Fusion folks are having these same issues?

Edit: The VM folks are indeed having the same issue, looking at their forums.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  5. KenV

KenV Bit poster

Directly from a Microsoft chat :

The concern you are facing is a known issue and our Microsoft Engineers are working on it as we speak. We will be able to release a fix not too long and it is included on the Windows 10 update.
    There is no specific date release yet but you can always visit our Microsoft.com for the updates.
    I understand and I do apologized for the hassle Ken. Rest assured that it will be fix soon. [sic]

6. PhilS1

PhilS1 Bit poster

I had this problem: I had Win8.1 Pro installed and activated in Bootcamp fine. Once I ran Parallels 10 against Bootcamp I needed to reactivate it, and got a new key for 'hardware change' over the automated MS phone system. From then on I could use Windows 8.1 in either Bootcamp or Parallels 10 without issue. A few weeks ago I upgraded to Parallels 11 and could still run my Windows installation under either Bootcamp or Parallels just fine.

Yesterday I upgraded to Windows 10 in Bootcamp and all proceeded OK except it was suddenly no longer activated either in Bootcamp or under Parallels - error code 0xC004C003, key blocked for both. Any attempt to use the 'Store' or 'Change Product Key' route simply hung the Store/Control Panel but luckily I'd already found http://imcookieboy.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/unable-to-activate-windows-10.html too so knew I could use the command prompt.

Today I found this thread and decided to try an online chat with MS. The lady seemed to understand my problem and was very helpful - she just gave me a new product key and said to enter it under Parallels rather than Bootcamp (I've not tried to reboot yet, I suspect it won't work so I will not be bothering until I really have to). Using the command line route above this worked. I'm now reactivated under Parallels at least.

Unimpressed with the hassle, but impressed with the quick MS service to be fair.

7. BrianNydish

BrianNydish Member

I have been on the phone with Microsoft for the past 1+ hr trying what you have accompished and transferred many times. Each time somebody comes back,...I have to explain the situation and it starts all over. The Microsoft phone support is very difficult to maneuver. I will wait for the update automatically.

8. ChrisM3

ChrisM3 Junior Member

I won't believe a new code will work until it's been tested in both Bootcamp and Parallels

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  9. jaocb

jaocb Bit poster

Lots of frustrations here.

This fixed it for me.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929826

Method 1: Use a Multiple Activation Key instead of KMS activation
    Click here to collapse or expend the section

If KMS activation will not be used, and if there is no KMS server, the product key should be changed to an MAK. For Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN), or for TechNet, the stock-keeping units (SKUs) that are listed below the media are usually volume licensed-media, and the product key that is supplied is an MAK key.

Change the product key to an MAK. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start[​IMG], click All Programs, click Accessories, and then right-click Command Prompt.
    2. Click Run as administrator.

[​IMG]If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press Enter:
      slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
      [​IMG]Note In this command, the placeholder xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx represents your MAK product key.

FlyingHighUp likes this.
  10. FlyingHighUp

FlyingHighUp Bit poster

@JacobB
    Why thank you kind Sir. Your solution worked for me too.
    This was the only thing preventing me from upgrading to Windows 10, and you solved it :)

11. ChrisM3

ChrisM3 Junior Member

And where are you getting your MAK from if you did the usual free upgrade form an older version of Windows to Windows 10?

12. TabSel

TabSel Junior Member

What's the state of this issue?

I can not activate my bootcamp based Windows 10 VM, even though native win10 IS activated.

NelsonC1 likes this.
  13. moonbeam

moonbeam Junior Member

The method described in #101 is tedious, but it worked for me. After reverting the VM's disk to the BC partition, the BC VM stays activated; similar to activating a Windows 8 BC VM, the native VM ponders its activation status for a few moments and then (re)activates.

14. AnthonyL1

AnthonyL1 Bit poster

I tried your method in #101but it didn't work. I've tried everything here at none of it works. I've spoken with Microsoft on two occassions, and with Parallels at length and by email. Each blames the other and on my last attempt Microsoft said I should raise it with Apple. I'm fed up to the back teeth with Microsoft and Parallels. I've been trying since August 11.

Your method doesn't work for me because I initially installed Win 7 on Bootcamp on a new iMac. I then did the free upgrade to Win 10. It activated OK on Bootcamp and still is activated, but did not and still hasn't when accessed through Parallels 10. When I now try to use my Win 7 Product Key it tells me it's not verified. Of course it isn't. It was used by me to upgrade to Win 10. It's now history.

I need Parallels to sort this problem out with Microsoft. They seem to have their heads buried in sand. I bought Parallels 10 becaise they claimed it was Windows 10 compatible. It isn't, at least for the upgrade version. They keep trying to get me to buy Parallels 11 when it will have the exact same problem.

This is preventing me from getting on. I used to have a happy working and activated dual OS on my iMac. I was constantly switching from OS X to Windows and it was great. Now thanks to whoever, whatever, it's a shambles that no-one is fixing. Get it sorted Parallels.

ChrisM3 likes this.
  15. Save2

Save2 Bit poster

i had the same problem, i booted in windows and then mac again and now seems gone even if I go to check the activation and it still gives error.. wired bootcamp

16. moonbeam

moonbeam Junior Member

AnthonyL1, is your Windows 7 key for the OEM or the full/retail version?

17. IanF1

IanF1 Bit poster

Just want to add to this discussion that it would be great to have a better solution than the solution in post #101. Any update from the parallels team, as this needs to be solved at a Parallels <---> Microsoft level it sounds like.

18. AnthonyL1

AnthonyL1 Bit poster

Moonbeam, it's the Win7 HE retail Upgrade version.

19. moonbeam

moonbeam Junior Member

I'm guessing that the Window 7 upgrade version isn't good for multiple online activations, but you could try to activate by phone.

20. moonbeam

moonbeam Junior Member

I don't know if this will help anybody, but allegedly the new or upcoming Windows 10 insider build 10565 can be activated with Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 keys during the free upgrade period (clean installs included, not just upgrades).