Windows 10 Start Menu Issue - Just Blown Off by Parallels Tech Support

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DennisD1, Oct 14, 2015.

1. DennisD1

DennisD1 Member

Until the latest 11.xx Parallels release, Parallels worked perfectly with Windows 10. Now I can't access the Start menu and see my desktop. Spent an hour last night with a tech support guy who couldn't fix the problem and passed it off to Second Tier support.

I just received this email:

The issue you have reported is not directly related to Parallels Desktop for Mac. This is a Windows OS issue which is also possible to occur on real Windows PCs. We tried our best in attempting to troubleshoot this in accordance with the Microsoft support documentation available on the web but were not successful. General Guest OS issues are out of Parallels Technical Support scope.

Wrong!! Your latest update wrecked it.

Anyone else have a similar bad experience? Any suggestions?

2. gelez

gelez Bit poster

i've got the same pb since 11.0.2, and other pb too, like runnig Word or Excel

3. DennisD1

DennisD1 Member

They're blaming Microsoft and it's on them to fix. I think they can't be bothered once they get your money.

4. AnthonyB2

AnthonyB2 Member

What do you mean by "can't access"? What happens when you try to access the start menu? Can you click the start button? Is there a start button to click? What happens when you try to see your desktop? What happens instead of seeing your desktop? Do you have a taskbar? Can you run any applications? If so, how are you running them if you can't access the start menu or desktop?

5. DennisD1

DennisD1 Member

I click the Start button. Nothing happens. When I try to view the Start menu from the menu bar, nothing happens. Can't see / open the Desktop. Can't run any Windows programs at all. Can't enter text in Search / Cortana text box.

I'm frustrated because all these features worked perfectly before the latest 11.x.x. upgrade. I tried going back to the previous 11.x.x., but am still having issues.

6. CccA

CccA Junior Member

Sounds like the old issue we've had all along with windows 10 and it was reported that PD11 was no better than PD10. I'm not sure what is to blame but I have heard it can occur on native PCs as well so could well be a windows 10 problem.
    The work around to to create a new user, and it is then possible to copy this user database to the old user but you will need to re-build your start menu. I'm just had about 5 weeks with perfect operation since I last did this - longest time yet :)
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/123375
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/win10-start-menu-no-longer-works.328946/page-2#post-773987

7. DennisD1

DennisD1 Member

Had a logmein session with Parallels Tech Support and they did just that. It did not work. And Tier 2 support couldn't care less. They have my money after all.

8. Hi, I've checked our internal system and the remote session with the Tech Support team has been scheduled.
    Please provide us with any results after this session.