Windows 10 on Parallels 11 frozen start menu and task bar

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by R.H.W, Aug 26, 2015.

1. R.H.W

R.H.W Bit poster

I am having problems with Parallels 11 with Windows 10 on both my iMac and MBP. First I updated my Parallels 10 to 11 on both machines and after that I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my iMac and did a fresh Windows 10 install on the MBP. Both systems have in generally problems with the start menu, task bar (and some system programs). Every time you go to the start button you get the timer and after clicking some times on it is looks like the start menu / task bar is restarting itself because it doesn't respond. It is very irritating and because it happens on both my Mac's I think it is a more common Parallels issue. Just to be sure I also installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my iMac and again the same thing happens. I found some information about parallels 10 with DirectX settings but disabling that didn't solve the problem. I ma running Windows in normal Window mode (so no Coherence or Modality) Other question is how to turn of that irritating power save/resuming mode on the iMac.

Some info:
    MBP 13" Retina Early 2015 (8GB / SSD)
    iMac 21" mid 2011 (16GB / SSD)
    Parallels 11 Pro
    Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit

Brian67 likes this.
  2. JeremyJ1

JeremyJ1 Bit poster

I'm having the problem as well. I've contacted support, but haven't heard from them yet. Any resolution on this Parallels?

3. JuanV1

JuanV1 Bit poster

I am having a similar issue... After installing Parallels Desktop 10 and Windows 10 I don't see the Windows Start Menu. Upgrading to Parallels Desktop 11 fixed other issues (Cortana and the annoying Shell Display) but the Windows Start Menu still doesn't appear.
    I opened a ticket with Parallels Support and then was told that it is a known issue that the developers will be fixing :(
    I am ready to drop Parallels and use Apple's Boot Camp instead... this is too painful :(

4. SimonG1

SimonG1 Bit poster

Any news on this? I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my Win7 x64 VM to Win10 yesterday, and now have exactly the same problem. None of the 'solutions' online work (none of them are for or work for Parallels).

5. RobertoF1

RobertoF1 Bit poster

I had returned Parallels 11 and downgraded back to Parallels 10 due to this. I think they just updated the KB article that said it was a known issue to one with a resolution: http://kb.parallels.com/en/123375.

VincentF1 likes this.
  6. 42njk42

42njk42 Bit poster

The resolution posted in the link above will not work for me. I follow the instructions with regard to moving database files from a new user to my main user account, but I get an error when trying to replace the files (EDB, vedatamodel.edb, ...). The error says "The action can't be completed because the file is open in State Repository Service".

7. RobertoF1

RobertoF1 Bit poster

Uhm... I deleted the Parallels 11 app from /Applications. I reinstalled Parallels 10. I reverted my virtual Windows 10 guest to a snapshot I had made before upgrading to Parallels 11. Used Parallels 10 for a week while I waited for a fix for this bug. So just now I upgraded from Parallels 10 to a demo of Parallels 11, ready to proceed with the steps in the KB article.... but I didn't need to. The Start menu just works fine by itself now, even after a reboot of Windows. No need for the work around...

8. SimonG1

SimonG1 Bit poster

Ok, so the 'workaround' worked for me until the windows user profile became corrupted again. This keeps happening, so there's something else that's causing the corruption in the first place. Going through the hassle of the workaround each time is a pain... :-(

9. RobertoF1

RobertoF1 Bit poster

Darn... same for me. It worked until all of a sudden after a reboot the Windows 10 guest it stopped working again. The fix is definitely not a real fix.

10. sgniwder

sgniwder Member

This has happened to me several times (over 10) over the last few weeks. Are there any plans for an update that will fix this?

11. Guys, if you use the 10 version of Parallels Desktop please upgrade to the latest build of 10 version and check the issue, if the issue still persists and you already use the latest build of 10 or 11 version, please generate the problem report using this KB right after issue reproducing and reply us back with the report 8-digit ID.

12. Bo Koue Callesen

Bo Koue Callesen Bit poster

I do see the same behaviour on ver 11, this before the update to 11.0.2 (31348) and also after applying the latest update. After a restart of Win 10 the issue with a corrupted profile occur.

Problem report 76827322

13. StarShot

StarShot Member

I"m having the same or similar problems. The last time Parallels worked for me, I was running El Capitan beta with Parallels 10 and Windows 10. Everything worked great until one day about a month ago when I started the system up and got to the new logo Win10 page where the circling dots go round and round with the system suddenly stopping the load with the screen freezing. The only what I could get out of this position was to manually turn my laptop off and then reboot. So I complained here with NO help from Parallels support.

I then figured I'll wait until the regular version of El Capitan come out and that will surely fix the problem. WRONG. However, in booting, Parallels touted the new and better Parallels 11. My mistake here was not trying the free tryout, instead coughing up $50 for what I consider trash. Parallels 11 is doing the same thing.

I'm a long time Parallels user (I think I started with 4 or 5). I'm considering dumping it completely and going with Bootcamp which I have on another computer. It works great, but I HATE having to reboot to switch OS. Why can't some genius at Parallels figure out how to fix this.

I did get one response from Parallels asking me to submit a problem report. Took one look at that and gave up how to fill out the form.

14. RobertoF1

RobertoF1 Bit poster

Sent report ID 77194426. Occurred under latest Parallels 11.0.2 (31348). Enough of this... I'll be testing the eval copy of VMWare Fusion and if it works I'll ask for a refund as this Parallels upgrade was a failure.

15. StarShot

StarShot Member

I don't know what your error is re Par11, but I had a problem with Parallels freezing while loading with both Par10 and Par11 (same problem). In both cases, I was running El Capitan (latest version). I was about to give up on Parallels with El Capitan and switch to BootCamp when I received the post below from a Parallels tech. I removed Parallels 11 from my Applications folder and then installed Parallels 10 from the link in the post below. No more freezing on load. I only did this a couple of days ago and probably will try to update to Par 11 soon.

---------------------------------------------From tech support...
    Do you have automatic logon enabled?
    I suggest to investigate this issue deeper, however it probably will require for you to contact us to schedule a remote session.
    Answering your other questions:
    1) Yes, you can reinstall or downgrade to the previous version of Parallels Desktop by simply launching a new installation package.
    The installation will replace all necessary files automatically.
    You can always obtain the latest build via those links:
    Parallels Desktop 11 - http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11
    Parallels Desktop 10-http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd10
    Parallels Desktop 9 -http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd9
    2) Refund shouldn't be a problem, but we've got to check the issue first.
    In any case, should you require further assistance, please send me an PM and I will create a ticket for you.
    Cheers,

Konstantin

16. RobertoF1

RobertoF1 Bit poster

Well... it looks this is not a Parallels-specific issue. I installed the latest version of VMWare Fusion, imported my Parallels Windows 10 guest into Fusion, and guess what. Within a few hours the issue occurred in Fusion as well (the Start Menu not appearing).
    After some Googling I saw that the issue happens to other non-virtual users as well, and Microsoft released KB3093266 this month which among other things is supposed to address the problem with the Start Menu and Cortana. I forced the update as it had not been downloaded on my Windows 10 yet, and will wait to see if it helped....

17. RobertoF1

RobertoF1 Bit poster

KB3093266 did not fix the issue. Still occurring. New problem ID 77949211.

18. sgniwder

sgniwder Member

I have sent in problem ID:
    This has happened over 10 times today.

19. RobertoF1

RobertoF1 Bit poster

After more Windows updates still same issue. New problem ID 79311180.

20. Toxie

Toxie Bit poster

Same issue for me as well. Problem ID 82448166. :(