Parallels Tools installation loop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by rodti, Aug 14, 2007.

1. rodti

rodti Bit poster

I used a fresh install of Parallels Desktop 3.0 to access my existing Boot Camp partition. It worked pretty well with the exception of having to reactivate Windows, but I've had to do that on PCs before so I don't blame Parallels! Unfortunately every time I boot into the VM I'm asked for my OS X admin password and then the Parallels Tools 'installation warning' is superimposed over Windows XP as it boots. It does this _every single time_. Is there any way to fix this? I'm really not keen to have to recreate the VM from scratch.

Thanks in advance!

2. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

When you start up Parallels and select the Guest, just before booting into the guest, go into the guest config and check to make sure that the parallel tools cd is Not in as your CD. In other word change it back to physical cd.

On a recent update of Ptools I had it's CD def get stuck in as the CD image.
    hope this helps

3. rodti

rodti Bit poster

I did have 'vmtools.fdd' as the default floppy image, but I've disabled that and it's still claiming that it's installed Parallels Tools.

4. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

Please check the CD/DVD drive too:

1). Please go to Parallels menu
    2). Choose Devices
    3). Select CD/DVD rom
    4). Click Disconnect the image, or click Default CD/DVD.

Parallels CD with Tools will be disconnected,

Best regards,
    John

5. rodti

rodti Bit poster

Following BenInBlack's advice I disabled the CD as well. This made no difference.

It's almost as if Parallels Desktop should set a flag on the VM once Parallels Tools has been installed to indicate that this is the case, but that this isn't being set. I also tried uninstalling the Parallels Tools and reinstalling last night but that doesn't seem to have made any difference either.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  6. dzurn

dzurn Bit poster

I am also getting the loop. I do as mentioned here, but the very next time I start Parallels, I get the same dumn thing. The Tools are installed, stop trying to re-install them!

7. rodti

rodti Bit poster

I think this has something to do with the Guest Tools Status value in the <vm name>.pvs file for the offending VM. I've tried several installations and uninstallations of the Tools and even when Guest Tools Status is set to 2 (presumably meaning 'installation complete') the Tools still try to install. Possible bug?