Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7 Failed

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MelissaW1, Sep 30, 2015.

1. MelissaW1

MelissaW1 Bit poster

I had upgraded to Parallels V. 11 today and then proceeded to upgrade my windows 7 VM using the method described here:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/122884
    I was on the page "ready to install" and after clicking install, I was stopped with this message:
    We couldn't install Windows 10
    We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10
    0xC1900101 - 0x20017The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation

Is there anyway I can proceed with the upgrade without having to do a clean installation? I prefer to keep my old files.

2. Manu@Parallels

Manu@Parallels Guest

Hello MelissaW1,
    Please make sure your virtual machine has at least 2GB of RAM assigned. To check virtual machine's RAM please open configuration menu -> Hardware tab -> CPU & Memory. To increase the memory, you would need to shut down your virtual machine.Also, at least 10 Gb free space on virtual hard disk is required.

3. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

@MelissaW1 - in addition to the solution offered above, please detach most of the USB devices connected to your Mac and let us know if that helped. If not, please either post here or send me a private message. We'll be happy to investigate this and help.