Parallels and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GerryN, Nov 2, 2015.

1. GerryN

GerryN Junior Member

I am proposing to do a clean install of El Capitan and wish to know:
    a) whether I can do a complete re-install of Parallels from a Time Machine backup and
    b) whether the full Win 10 installation, including installed programs, will also be re-installed when I re-instate Parallels or whether this requires a separate re-install.
    I have SmartGuard enabled.
    Although I have searched the Forum and the Parallels web site I cannot find an answer.

2. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi, if your Windows 10 pvm is backed up in your time machine then you'll not have to Windows 10 or any other applications inside it again. But please make sure that the size of the PVM file in your time machine back up is in GB. That PVM file will have all of your Windows applications and operating system files along with the settings stored in your Windows virtual machine. It would be better if you can manage to copy the pvm file to an external storage device and have it moved later (as that is the safest).
    Coming towards the installation of Parallels Desktop, even if it is not backed up or if the application can not be installed from the back up then we can have it installed on using a fresh download.

3. GerryN

GerryN Junior Member

Thanks, Dishant. My PVM file is backed up and I have also now dowloaded the Parallels 11 dmg file so that I can do a clean install of Parallels.

4. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Gerry, I am glad that all of it has gone smooth. Hope it works the best. Feel free to reach out if there is any other question.